Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco switch logging buffer size

jdesaul
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'd like to know approximately how many days of logs can be kept within the logging buffer on a Cisco switch. For example, if the switch has 16 GB of memory, and I configure the following command:

logging buffered  3000000000  6

This will ensure that the logs with severity-levels 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 are stored in the memory buffer, which has a maximum size of 3 Gigabytes. 

I'm wondering how long will it take before the logging buffer is overwritten; 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months (roughly)? I know that it really varies based on how many logging events occur but I'm just looking for a rough guideline.

This will indicate the log retention timeline that is applicable to the device's log buffer.

Thanks,

jdesaul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

Honestly it's hard to say how many days because it depends on how many logs you're receiving. However with 3G it could be somewhere to 3 months I would say.

My point is just to avoid doing large buffer size because the router can go out of memory.

You have several choices to keep log histories by using a syslog server. You can have free linux machine working as syslog server. If you don't have the possibility to have a server, you have use the command logging persistent to backup all log in the buffer to a file stored in your device flash.
Here a Cisco doc if you're interested: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice/telephony-signaling/212102-Configure-Persistent-Logging-on-Cisco-IO.html

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

Honestly it's hard to say how many days because it depends on how many logs you're receiving. However with 3G it could be somewhere to 3 months I would say.

My point is just to avoid doing large buffer size because the router can go out of memory.

You have several choices to keep log histories by using a syslog server. You can have free linux machine working as syslog server. If you don't have the possibility to have a server, you have use the command logging persistent to backup all log in the buffer to a file stored in your device flash.
Here a Cisco doc if you're interested: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice/telephony-signaling/212102-Configure-Persistent-Logging-on-Cisco-IO.html

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card