Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco switch "WS-C2960S-48TS-S "tracking interface option

Dear Cisco Support,

Is there any way to track/monitor interface on switch "WS-C2960S-48TS-S" "ex gi1/0"so that if it goes down to link it with other interface "ex gi 1/1" to force it down for HA purpose.

Best Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

willwetherman
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

Yes the Cisco 2960S switch supports link-state tracking which should meet your requirements. I have used this feature before to bind an upstream interface that connects to a distribution switch to a downstream server interface. In the event that the upstream interface fails, the downstream server interface is placed in the error disabled state forcing the server to use its secondary interface which is connected to a second access switch.

Example.

Interface Gig1/0/1 is the upstream interface connecting to the distribution switch
Interface Gig1/0/2 is the downstream interface connecting to the server

link state track 1
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
 link state group 1 upstream
!
interface gig1/0/2
 link state group 1 downstream

Please see the following 'Understanding Link-State Tracking'. You will need the LAN Base license to support this feature

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/scg_2960/swethchl.html

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Hello

Yes its called in cisco its called a flex link

Basic example:

int gig1/0

switchport backup interface gig1/1
switchport backup interface gig1/1 preemption mode forced

sh interfaces switchport backup

Check here

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello Paul,

may be u have misunderstand my question , I have 2 different interfaces in 2 different vlans , but I need them to be in the same status at one time, means that when one interface goes down the other one goes also down at the same time .

BR,

A Afifi

Hello

Yes It looks like i did indeed mis-inturpret you query - However it is still possible to obtain the result you wish by either again by object tracking or IP SLA and EEM

I have provided an example for the latter:

track 1 rtr 10 interface GIG0/1 line-protocol

event manager applet GIG0/1-DOWN
 event track 1 state down
 action 5.0 cli command "enable"
 action 5.1 cli command "conf t"
 action 5.2 cli command "interface gig1/1"
 action 5.3 cli command "shut"
 action 5.4 cli command "end"

event manager applet GIG0/1-UP
 event track 1 state up
 action 5.5 cli command "enable"
 action 5.6 cli command "conf t"
 action 5.7 cli command "interface interface gig1/1"
 action 5.8 cli command "no shut"
 action 5.9 cli command "end"

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

many thnx for your reply , the solution u provided is exactly what I need but the issue now is the cmds not applicable on my model ""WS-C2960S-48TS-S" " IOS "(C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.0(1)SE2"

Is there any upgrade needed or other equivalent cmds that can be applied on my IOS ??

thanks again for your support.

Best Regards

A Afifi

Hello

as suggested by the other poster -LST

Would be another alternative solution

res

paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello Paul,

Thanks alot but as I don't have much experience with  the switches , can u please advise the way to get this license as it seems that I don't have this license:

# show license

Index 1 Feature: lanbase        
        Period left: 0  minute  0  second

Best Regards

I have model WS-C2960S-48TS-S which seems that it's default that it's running lanlite license only , so Is there any way to get the lan base license without changing the hardware.

Best Regards

willwetherman
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

Yes the Cisco 2960S switch supports link-state tracking which should meet your requirements. I have used this feature before to bind an upstream interface that connects to a distribution switch to a downstream server interface. In the event that the upstream interface fails, the downstream server interface is placed in the error disabled state forcing the server to use its secondary interface which is connected to a second access switch.

Example.

Interface Gig1/0/1 is the upstream interface connecting to the distribution switch
Interface Gig1/0/2 is the downstream interface connecting to the server

link state track 1
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
 link state group 1 upstream
!
interface gig1/0/2
 link state group 1 downstream

Please see the following 'Understanding Link-State Tracking'. You will need the LAN Base license to support this feature

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/scg_2960/swethchl.html

Hope this helps

Dear willwetherman,

many thanks for your support but the issue that I have switch model "WS-C2960S-48TS-S" which runs lanlite license as below:

#     show license
Index 1 Feature: lanbase        
        Period left: 0  minute  0  second  
Index 2 Feature: lanlite        
        Period left: Life time
        License Type: Permanent
        License State: Active, In Use
        License Priority: Medium
        License Count: Non-Counted

So is there any way to get the lanbase License without changing the hardware ??

Best Regards

Ahmed Afifi

Hi,

Sorry I didnt look at the part number correctly and can now see that you have a lanlite model and not lanbase.

No you cannot upgrade from lanlite to lanbase without replacing the switch

Q. Can a Cisco Catalyst 2960-S Series LAN Lite switch
be upgraded to LAN Base?

A. No. The feature set is bound to the hardware model. To get the features and capabilities of LAN Base, you must purchase a LAN Base switch.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/sites/default/files/legacy/9/7/8/134879-Cisco%20Catalyst%202960%20and%202960-S%20Series%20Switches%20Q%26A.pdf

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card