Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Switch SF300-08 Selective DHCP hand-out

aira
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

How can a Cisco SF300-08 switch be configured to give out DHCP IP addresses only on select interfaces (Ports)?

In other words: How to preventing certain devices to get ip from it's DHCP, based on the physical port they are connected to.

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

In other words: How to preventing certain devices to get ip from it's DHCP, based on the physical port they are connected to.

Don't configure any vlans on these ports. 

HTH

Hi Reza,

Thank you, the mentioned solution may work in some cases but I think this scenario may need a different approach.
Here is some more information:

There's a network with 2 DHCP(s).
DHCP-A has an excluded IP pool range of .245-250 and DHCP B has the same pool to hand out.
These 2 (router/switches) are connected via ethernet and to the trunk port of DHCP-B which is the SF300-08 box we mentioned.

What is expected and currently doing is giving ip to all the machines that are directly and indirectly connected to it according to the pool.

What I'm trying to achieve is to get DHCP-B to withhold giving ip to anyone except devices that are directly on it's physical ports (Port 1-5 for example) and to leave behind the other machines that are indirectly connected (via the trunk port and to the other switch).

Looking for a solution to avoid other machines from getting ip from that pool unless they are on ports 1-5 of the sf300 box.

Thank in advance for the helpUntitled.png

Hi,

Looking for a solution to avoid other machines from getting ip from that pool unless they are on ports 1-5 of the sf300 box.

One option would be to put the group of machines you don't want to get IPs in a different IP segment/vlan.

HTH

Correct but there's also a domain controller on the other side (on DHCP-A) that those few machines need to talk to :)

The whole thought for doing this is to get DHCP-B point those few (directly connected) machines to a different DNS.

I wonder if there's a way for turning DHCP listening on/off on the select ports. (G1 for example)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card