cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco switches for access,distribution and core layer?

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

HI everybody

I have few questions:

What are some cisco switches generally used at access-layer?

What are some cisco switches generally used at distribution -layer?

What are some cisco switches generally used at core-layer?

thanks and havea great day.

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jan Hrnko
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Sarah

It really depends on size of the network (and money we have ), but lets assume we got a medium to large network. You need to have multilayer swicthes for distro and core layer.

Access-layer: Catalyst 2960

Distribution-layer: Catalyst 3560-X, Catalyst 3750-X, Catalyst 4500

Core-layer: Catalyst 6500

Best regards,

Jan

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on your budget.

There are so many combination to choose from:

Minimal budget:

Access:  2960 or 2960S

Distro:  3750X

Core:  3750X or 4500R+E with Sup7E or 6500E with Sup720 or Sup2T

Average budget:

Access:  3750X

Distro:  4500R+E with Sup7E or 4500X

Core:  6500E with Sup720 or Sup2T

High:

Access:  6500E with Sup32

Distro:  6500E with Sup720

Core:  6500E with Sup2T

DC-grade, High

Access:  Nexus 2K or 3K

Distro:  Nexus 5k

Core:  Nexus 7K

siddhartham
Level 4
Level 4

Like Leo said it depends on your budget, you can use a stack of 3750 switches and combine distribution and access layers ( if this for users- IDFs or for MDF s).

Siddhartha

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

"DC" likely stands for Data Center.

PS:

For access layer, whether you want L2 or L3 will narrow your choices.

Also, and especially for access layer, chassis solutions per port cost (and performance and features) varies much dependent on line card and supervisor selection.  I.e., in large Enterprise you might see the same chassis for all three layers, but performance and cost can differ greatly.

I tried to google" DC-grade,high" but could not find any explanation. Could you please elaborate on it?

Sorry.  I just coined the term "DC-grade" and "high".  Basically "DC" stands for Data Centre grade network and with a HIGH budget.  The Nexus family is regularly surpassing the capabilities of the Catalyst switches.  It would be common sense to use a DC-grade switch for use in a DC.

If one has the money and a clean sheet of paper to start on, I'd settle for the Nexus family of switches in the Data Centre, 6509E with Sup2T in the Core, Sup720 in the distro and 4500R+E with Sup7E in the access layer. 

6 Replies 6

Jan Hrnko
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Sarah

It really depends on size of the network (and money we have ), but lets assume we got a medium to large network. You need to have multilayer swicthes for distro and core layer.

Access-layer: Catalyst 2960

Distribution-layer: Catalyst 3560-X, Catalyst 3750-X, Catalyst 4500

Core-layer: Catalyst 6500

Best regards,

Jan

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on your budget.

There are so many combination to choose from:

Minimal budget:

Access:  2960 or 2960S

Distro:  3750X

Core:  3750X or 4500R+E with Sup7E or 6500E with Sup720 or Sup2T

Average budget:

Access:  3750X

Distro:  4500R+E with Sup7E or 4500X

Core:  6500E with Sup720 or Sup2T

High:

Access:  6500E with Sup32

Distro:  6500E with Sup720

Core:  6500E with Sup2T

DC-grade, High

Access:  Nexus 2K or 3K

Distro:  Nexus 5k

Core:  Nexus 7K

Thanks Leolaohoo

I tried to google" DC-grade,high" but could not find any explanation. Could you please elaborate on it?

Thanks and have a good day.

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

"DC" likely stands for Data Center.

PS:

For access layer, whether you want L2 or L3 will narrow your choices.

Also, and especially for access layer, chassis solutions per port cost (and performance and features) varies much dependent on line card and supervisor selection.  I.e., in large Enterprise you might see the same chassis for all three layers, but performance and cost can differ greatly.

Sorry.  I just coined the term "DC-grade" and "high".  Basically "DC" stands for Data Centre grade network and with a HIGH budget.  The Nexus family is regularly surpassing the capabilities of the Catalyst switches.  It would be common sense to use a DC-grade switch for use in a DC.

If one has the money and a clean sheet of paper to start on, I'd settle for the Nexus family of switches in the Data Centre, 6509E with Sup2T in the Core, Sup720 in the distro and 4500R+E with Sup7E in the access layer. 

siddhartham
Level 4
Level 4

Like Leo said it depends on your budget, you can use a stack of 3750 switches and combine distribution and access layers ( if this for users- IDFs or for MDF s).

Siddhartha
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card