cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco switching with Vantage Home Automation software

sean.conway
Level 1
Level 1

I need to draw upon this community for my next steps.  The scenario we are dealing with is the following. We are trying to get this company http://www.vantagecontrols.com/ to work on a Cisco network.  We are using Cisco 2960X-48-FPS-L with the 15.2(2) E7 code. We have a pair of WS-3850-12S running 16.3.5B as the core.  We have turned everything off that we can think of but the Vantage company still says that the Cisco switches are interpreting multicast traffic as a security threat and shutting it down.  We have done network captures and nothing comes out acting as a smoking gun. When the company puts its product on Luxal switches it performs just fine.     Any help with this vendor would be great.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@sean.conway wrote:

Cisco switches are interpreting multicast traffic as a security threat and shutting it down. 

First off, try to use the 2960X as a "dumb" switch: Enable only portfast.
If there is a "server" that the wired clients talk to, make sure they are in the same subnet and the same switch.

Next, when you say "shutting it down" is the interface in error-disable?

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

When you say if they connect their stuffs to luxal switches, everything works fine. Do they have specific configs?
How the multicast works? Everything in the same vlan or not?

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hello,

on a side note, it used to be that IGMP snooping was enabled by default, not sure if that still is the case in the newer IOS versions. Either way, when you turn it off, the switch will see multicast traffic as broadcast traffic, so maybe that solves the problem:

2960(config)#no ip igmp snooping

do you have multicast routing enabled on your router?

if not I guess the device/port cannot subscribe to the multicast group!

then igmp snooping kicks in and terminates the multicast flow after a certain timeout.

are the Luxal switches "dumb" or manageable?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card