cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Voice VLAN Configuration

mario11584
Level 1
Level 1

A small client of mine recently informed me they are getting a new phone system. It is not a Cisco phone system but it will be using their two Catalyst 2960 switches. They have only a single cable run to each office (computer) so I have to use their existing runs and switches. I believe that a Cisco Voice VLAN would be the best way to provide separation between the data network and the phone network without having to run more cable. At any rate, I configured the switches with the Cisco Voice VLAN (my first time configuring a voice VLAN). After a bit of troubleshooting with the phone vendor we got things working. About a day after the install various users started intermittently losing connection to a server on the primary VLAN but connectivity to the internet and the phone server on the voice VLAN is consistent (verified through pinging). I would like to have anybody that would take the time please verify the voice VLAN configurations on the switches so I can confirm that the switches aren't the problem. I've attached the switches running configurations. Note: one user having issues is connected to interface f0/6 on switch abx-orem-001-sw-002 and the server the user is disconnecting from is interface f0/6 on abx-orem-001-sw-001. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello David,

your voice vlan configuration looks like fine.

all the users and the server are in vlan 1

At the time of the issue you should check

ARP entry on the user PC for the server to see it is the correct one

the switch interface counters of the user and the server to see if any error categories increment.

If the ARP entries are correct on user PC and server and you don't see any error type incrementing on the switch interfaces the issue is likely at an upper layer

All what the network devices do is to carry frames and packets between hosts. So you need just to show that they are doing their job well.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello David,

your voice vlan configuration looks like fine.

all the users and the server are in vlan 1

At the time of the issue you should check

ARP entry on the user PC for the server to see it is the correct one

the switch interface counters of the user and the server to see if any error categories increment.

If the ARP entries are correct on user PC and server and you don't see any error type incrementing on the switch interfaces the issue is likely at an upper layer

All what the network devices do is to carry frames and packets between hosts. So you need just to show that they are doing their job well.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for that information! I'll check the users ARP table at the next disconnect. I made a mistake though. The server the user is disconnecting from is on abx-orem-001-sw-002 on interface fa0/46. The phone server is connected to fa0/6 on abx-orem-001-sw-001. I still don't think that makes a difference. It looks fine to me. Just wanted to make sure I was clear on what is what. Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: