cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco

guest-user-test
Level 1
Level 1

I can not connect to the switch 2960 through the console cable.

How do I reset BAUD's.
Thanks

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Catch-22 - usually by configuring the device - which, you're unable to do - the usual alternative is to try different bit rate settings on your serial console client, hoping you'll find what the device's console port is configured for.  The foregoing can take much trial and error, especially if more than baud rate needs to be set.  If you have the proper hardware, you can analyze the console port output and determine the baud rate too.

I recently purchased a 2960 Cisco switch to use in my Cisco Network. When I try to connect to the switch using the console port I don’t get anything, no matter what I do I can’t connect using the console port (changed the port speed on the terminal emulator etc) . I tried a password recovery but no luck ……I’m very sure the console port is disabled.

I know the switch works because I can see it using CDP, switch no have any ip for telnet

Are there any jumpers or anything that I can try to enable the console port? Any ideas Im willing to try anything.

Thanks

Cisco switches, for some time now, do not have any "hard" configuration jumpers.  For example, the "config-register" is configured through software (including using the console port in ROMMOM mode).  (This is why it's catch-22 situation.)

When you connect to the console port, you get nothing at all at different baud rates?  I.e. no "gibberish"?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card