cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco3750 running too hot. Alternatives?

brcruz001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have a Cisco3750G-24PS-S running in my home environment, along with other things. I was doing fine, until summer. Now, ambient temperature is getting too high, increasing the operating temperature on Cisco3750. Usually it runs around 42 degrees, but in the afternoon Cisco3750 is shutting down due to high temperature.

Question: Can anyone advise in a proper replacement for the Cisco3750? I need gigabit ethernet ports, and some features like VLan, trunking, QoS, and most importantly, something the runs cooler than Cisco3750.

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Are the internal fans ok did you check the show env all to make sure there all functioning and not down , it could be as cheap as replacing an internal fan If not a 3650 or 3850 are your newer models of 3750s which would have same functions

If you look at the data sheets they all operate at the same level temps in and around , is there enough ventilation in the room for your switch, temp should be in these ranges fro it too operate ok

With AC Power Supply

Operating Environment and Altitude

Normal operating temperature* and altitudes:

-5ºC to +45ºC, up to 5000 feet (1500m)

-5ºC to +40ºC, up to 10,000 feet (3000m)

-5ºC to +35ºC, up to 13,000 feet (4000m)

-5ºC to +30ºC, up to 16,400 feet (5000m)

* Minimum ambient temperature for cold start is 32°F (0°C).

Short-term* exceptional conditions:

-5ºC to +50ºC, up to 5000 feet (1500m)

-5ºC to +45ºC, up to 10,000 feet (3000m)

-5ºC to +40ºC, up to 13,000 feet (4000m)

-5ºC to +35ºC, up to 16,400 feet (5000m)

-5ºC to +45ºC, at sea level with single fan failure

* Not more than following in one-year period: 96 consecutive hours, or 360 hours total, or 15 occurrences.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your prompt answer. I think that the problem is lack of ventilation. On top of that, cool air intake on C3750 is on the sides of the chassis, and my switch is stored on a custom rack, with no open space on the sides. Rack is open on the front and on the back.

Are the newer models the same (cool air intake is done through the sides)?

Edit: Yes, the fans seems to be running ok. Take a look:

C3750>show env all
FAN is OK
SYSTEM TEMPERATURE is OK
System Temperature Value: 42 Degree Celsius
System Temperature State: GREEN
Yellow Threshold : 51 Degree Celsius
Red Threshold    : 61 Degree Celsius
 SW  PID                 Serial#     Status           Sys Pwr  PoE Pwr  Watts
---  ------------------  ----------  ---------------  -------  -------  -----
 1  Built-in                                         Good

SW  Status          RPS Name          RPS Serial#  RPS Port#
--  -------------   ----------------  -----------  ---------
1   Not Present     <>

The 3650s and 3850s have hot swappable fans at the back of the unit but they also have small side vents  the cool air goes in through front and side and out the back fans , id say switch is fine , it hits a threshold of too hot and to stop itself from burning out or causing a fire its shutting down , I would look at opening up he side of the rack to allow some ventilation in if possible would be a lot cheaper than buying a new switch

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card