Views
Helpful
Replies

clear port-security command

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi all,

i would like to know if the command below would have the same effect as clear arp. thanks in advance!

Switch#clear port-security dynamic address ?

H.H.H  48 bit mac address

Switch#clear port-security dynamic interface ?

FastEthernet     FastEthernet IEEE 802.3

GigabitEthernet  GigabitEthernet IEEE 802.3z

Port-channel     Ethernet Channel of interfaces

3 Replies 3

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You can clear a MAC address or the complete port cache with this command:

Regards,
Naidu.
Please rate the helpfull posts.

Rajiv B G
Level 1
Level 1

Hi John,

1. clear port-security dynamic

To clear dynamically learned port security MAC in  the CAM table, use the clear port-security dynamic command. The address  keyword enables you to clear a secure MAC addresses. The interface  keyword enables you to clear all secure addresses on an interface.

2. clear arp

To delete all dynamic entries from the Address  Resolution Protocol ARP cache, to clear the fast-switching cache, and to  clear the IP route cache, use the clear arp-cache EXEC command.

To clear the entire ARP cache on an interface, use the clear arp interface command in EXEC mode.

We clear arp on L3 devices (where the ARP entry is formed), we can clear mac on any switch (in this case where port-security is configured).

After a mac is cleared from the cam table, it is re-learnt when a packet with that source mac is sent. However, ARP is learnt only when needed.

I sort of can see where your question is coming from (maybe you are asking from a troubleshooting perspective), but fundamentally we are looking at an L3 and L2 feature here.

HTH.

Cheers,

Rajiv

hi rajiv,

thanks for your feedback! i do know what these command does but would like to know if clear arp and clear port-security are equal or end results are the same (don't have L3 switch available to lab and verify on this).

also, i thought port-security is L2?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card