cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Co-Location Rack Network

rayamitchell
Level 1
Level 1

I  am considering running stacked 3750 L3 switches as  the edge of the  network, which will connect to the ISP. The ISP would  hand off two  lines with one to each switch and two lines to each client  zone. Does running HSRP, running  port channels, or running routing protocols seem like the  best option  for redundancy?

Lastly,  will the 3750 provide all the QoS I should  need for restricting each  client zone's bandwidth both up and down?  Could I get away with a lower  model and still get these features?

Thanks for all input!!

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

3750s work just fine.  Also, you don't need to run HSRP, VRRP, etc... since stacking provide switch redundancy for you. Specially if you are going to have connection to multiple switches from the provider and do portchannels. The 3750s provide the QOS parameter you need to do the job for you. You can probably get a way with 2960 series, but they don't provide the same stacking speed, backplane and throughput.  Remember all these switches provide Ethernet ports, but if you need to terminate any type T1, T3, etc.... then you need a router or 2.

Good Luck

HTH

Thanks.

I currently have a 3560, so I could buy another 3560 and run HSRP cheaper than buying the stacks.

Are there any benefits to running stacked switches instead of HSRP other than backplane throughput?

If the budget is an issue, then yes, you can add another 3560 and run HSRP. With stacking you can add up to 9 switches and manage them all by one IP and one config for all.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card