Helpful
Replies

concept switch stack

bird_th
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. every body 

I've any question about concetp switch stack

1. I've 2 switch stack.   If swtich stack master is fail . when show interface status  in switch , how is it the port id  ?  G1/0/xx , G2/0/xx 

2. If i'll upgrade ios on switch stack. Is it down time 2 switch ?

3.If I take switch 3 join with switch 1 - 2 [stack ready]  and switch  3 It has  old config and version ios deference  from the switch 1-2 . how is effect  in switch 1- 2 ?  .... or switch master it will  replace config and  ios to switch 3.

thank for the answer 

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

1. I've 2 switch stack.   If swtich stack master is fail . when show interface status  in switch , how is it the port id  ?  G1/0/xx , G2/0/xx 

example:

G1/0/5

G2/0/10

The first number is the switch number (in your case is 1 or 2).  The second number is the blade number (in your case it is always 0) and the 3rd number is the port number.

2. If i'll upgrade ios on switch stack. Is it down time 2 switch ?

yes, since you need to reboot the whole stack, there will be down time during the reboot.

3.If I take switch 3 join with switch 1 - 2 [stack ready]  and switch  3 It has  old config and version ios deference  from the switch 1-2 . how is effect  in switch 1- 2 ?  .... or switch master it will  replace config and  ios to switch 3.

Yes, the master switch will override switch 3 config and the port numbering start with 3 for that switch

example:

G3/0/2

HTH

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
#1 Remaining switch would continue to show same interface numbering.

#2 As Reza mentioned, often the whole stack is rebooted, but a stack might support some form of rolling or ISSU upgrade, where only one switch at a time drops off-line and/or downtime is minimized.

#3 That an "it depends" question, answer may depends on how stack and switch to be added are currently configured. As also noted by Reza, the 3rd switch's config and iOS might be overridden or it might just refuse to join the stack.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card