Views
Helpful
Replies

config reg for 3750

tarun_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Can we have Discussion why 3750 config reg is 0 x F instead of 2102 ?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tarun,

To my best knowledge, the configuration register is unused and most probably non-existent on fixed-configuration Catalyst switches. There is even no config-register command available in the global configuration mode. I suspect that IOS just displays a fixed value to be compatible both with platforms that use the configuration register and those which do not.

Best regards,

Peter

tarun_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Thnks Peter,

I also learnt that config reg can not be changed from 0xF and being equivalent to 2102

Any idea if same is true for romon mode and password recovery can still be done with this if required at some stage.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hello Tarun,

As far as my experiences go, there is no confreg or similar command available in the Catalyst bootloader. Note that technically, Catalyst switches do not have ROMMON - rather, they have a basic bootloader. While the ROMMON allows for quite sophisticated debugging and tracing of the IOS operations (provided you also have developer information a particular IOS image build), the Catalyst bootloader is only capable of basic recovery functions.

The list and description of all available bootloader commands for 3750 Catalysts can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_58_se/command/reference/bootldr.html

Performing the password recovery on Catalyst switches is different from routers. With respect to the config register, you do not rewrite its value in the bootloader but instead, you rename the configuration file config.text stored in the FLASH (yes - these Catalysts do not have NVRAM; they only emulate it in FLASH, and the config.text file stands for startup-config) to some other name, and let the switch continue booting. The password recovery procedure on Catalysts does not involve the configuration register at all - at least on fixed-config switches.

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card