cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuration differences between cat 9400 and 4500

f.fnlaspect
Level 1
Level 1

We are purchasing a cat 9407 and see this as the natural replacement for our 4507's.

Might be obvious but are they are any differences in configuration at all? Just wanted to know if there is anything to look out for. Should it just be planned that the same config will go from one to the other?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
They both actually now run IOS-XE so config should be identical , just make sure in config guide the version your moving to is not missing anything important but once you have same type license level you should be fine , 9ks are the replacements from 4ks , really its mostly hardware changes , software still IOS-XE unless very old 4ks they were IOS but even at that the changes are minimal coming from IOS - IOS-XE if thats the case , 9ks use stackwise 45s use VSS that will be different but ame ocncept , standard config , user end or routing switching commands are the same

here is a link to one of the 9k s latest configuration guides ,you can search commands there if you are bit uncertain but you shouldn't face any major changes

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9400/software/release/16-10/configuration_guide/b-1610-9400-cg.html

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- If you talk about differences have a look at the table from the link below. Usually this will affect the configuration but initially migrate the IOS-config as is; and see if it bumps and or correct according to guidelines denoted by the new platform ;

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9400-series-switches/nb-06-upgrading-cat-9400-fc-cte-en.pdf

M;

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
They both actually now run IOS-XE so config should be identical , just make sure in config guide the version your moving to is not missing anything important but once you have same type license level you should be fine , 9ks are the replacements from 4ks , really its mostly hardware changes , software still IOS-XE unless very old 4ks they were IOS but even at that the changes are minimal coming from IOS - IOS-XE if thats the case , 9ks use stackwise 45s use VSS that will be different but ame ocncept , standard config , user end or routing switching commands are the same

here is a link to one of the 9k s latest configuration guides ,you can search commands there if you are bit uncertain but you shouldn't face any major changes

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9400/software/release/16-10/configuration_guide/b-1610-9400-cg.html

Thanks Mark and Marcel.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card