Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure 10GB trunk to switch VLAN

jlear0001
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

This is my first post and some of this is still kind of new to me, so I apologize if my terminology is off.

We have two switches, one is a Cisco Nexus model, the other is a Foundry FastIron model. What I am wanting to do is "trunk?" a 10GB port off the FI to the Cisco to distribute DHCP to the Cisco's VLAN. As mentioned before, I am not sure if that is said right. But basically I am wanting to share DHCP through this 10GB port, to the Cisco and its default VLAN. If it's not done this way, not said this way, I am not sure.

As of now, this is the config for port 1 on the Cisco
interface Ethernet1/1
  switchport access vlan 5
  switchport trunk native vlan 5
  no shutdown

According to Foundry forums, their end is straight forward. You hook up an SFP module, cable it up, and configure the other side. So, I am assuming (by that), the problem is within how I have the Cisco configured.

Any and all help is appreciated, thank you!

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If you want to configure the Cisco side as trunk change the config mode trunk

example:

no switchport access vlan 5

no switchport trunk native vlan 5

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 5

Also, what do you mean by "distribute DHCP to the Cisco's VLAN"

Do you mean you want the Cisco switch to provide IP address to your end devices (laptops, PC, etc..?

how many vlans total do you have?

HTH

Hi Reza,

I am not sure how to configure the Cisco side is why I'm asking. Unfortunately, I need someone to tell me "you need to do it this way", because I don't know.

I only have one VLAN on the Cisco switch, and that's VLAN5.

What I mean by distribute DHCP to the Cisco's VLAN is I want to share our network to the Cisco switch over this cable, to provide network/DHCP to the default VLAN I configured.

Hi,

If you have access to the switch logon to it and try these commands:

config t

interface Ethernet1/1

no switchport access vlan 5

no switchport trunk native vlan 5

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 5

Also make sure vlan 5 is already present on the switch by using "sh vlan summ" or "sh vlan id 5" if the vlan does not exist you can create it this way;

config t

vlan 5

name <whatever you want>

exit

HTH

I did that, no change. What's strange is there are no activity lights on the Cisco either even though the cable is plugged in.

So if these commands are ran, this should be enough to do what I need it to do?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card