Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure switch-wide MAC-address for port security

drehstrom
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

we have a 9300 switch, every port ist configured to use port security with one sticky MAC-address and everything works fine. Now we like to do some checkings in our network using a test tool from FLUKE. As soon as I connect and start testing the port switches to err-disable. That's absolutely correct, because of the different MAC from the FLUKE. Now I'd like to add the MAC of the FLUKE to every port for testing purposes. I didn't find a way to do this per switch so I used the "interface range" command. But I can enter the MAC only to one port. Trying to add it to another port results in an error stating: "Found duplicate mac-address ....".

Is there any chance to enter a switch-wide MAC-address to work with port-security?

Thanks for your help

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>Is there any chance to enter a switch-wide MAC-address to work with port-security?

Definitely not

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

802.1x is the answer.

Hello @Leo Laohoo 

Does 802.1X support port security or MAC devices?
I configured & Applied 802.1X VLAN assignment & Port-Based Authentication on Radius-NPS with domain users ,

does NPS support that by PCs MAC?

There are so many things that can be achieved by Dot1X.  I can, for instance, 

1. Specify which VLAN a specific MAC address can go, regardless on what switch and what port.  
  2. Specify which VLANs an OUI can go, regardless on what switch and what port. 
  3. Specify which VLAN a specific username can go, regardless on what switch and what port. 

@Leo Laohoo 

thanks a lot Prof for this info

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card