cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring a 2821 with NM-16A as a terminal server

churchillma
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone help me with what I'm missing when it comes to configuring a 2821 router with a NM-16A module for a terminal server.

Here is my config

ip routing

!

interface ethernet g0/0

ip address 10.1.1.3 255.255.255.0

!

ip host R1 2065 10.1.1.3

!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.1.1

!

int group async 0

encapsulation slip

line 1/0 1/15

!

line aux 0

line 1/0 1/15

no exec

transport input telnet

transport output telnet

I verified the vty lines by using the "show line" command, they were 65-96

Do I need a loopback interface, I didn't think I did, it was just recommended.  Any help would be appreciated.

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For terminal server, you usually use a loopback interface.

Have a look at this link with config example:

http://ccielab.ro/2009/08/configuring-a-terminal-server/

HTH

While I agree with my colleague Reza that loopback interfaces are frequently used with terminal servers, it is certainly not a requirement. The requirement is really to have a working IP address on the router. So my question to the original poster is whether the address on Gig0/0 is really active. The best way to show this would probably be to post the output of show ip interface brief.

I would also ask the original poster to tell us what cable he is using to connect the async interface to the console of the other router/switch?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello. The interface is active and I'm able to access the router remotely in that IP.  As for the cable, I'm using the octal ones. Whatever its called. CAB-OCTAL-ASYNC

Thanks for the additional information.

I have not configured terminal server functionality on a 2821 and so do not have experience to work from. I have configured terminal servers many times and in general it is not a difficult feature to configure.

I would suggest that you remove this line from the configuration and let us know if the behavior changes.

encapsulation slip

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

create loopback interface then assign this ip of yours ip address 10.1.1.3 255.255.255.255 not 255.255.255.0

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: