Views
Helpful
Replies

configuring a backup network on a switch

Nickbusta25
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am trying to route a backup network to a switch for an essential workplace.

My topology is Cisco Router 1(main)-(trunk)->Cisco layer 3 switch-(trunk)->Cisco layer 3 switch(endpoint)<-(trunk)-Cisco Router 2(backup)

currently both routers are dot1q trunked to the each respective switch. I am trying to build the endpoint switch to default to the backup router should the active router 1 go down (hopefully able to with the same IPs/ VLAN) but am having a tough time as im pretty inexperienced. 

any help would be appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Hello,

you should be able to configure an IP SLA with a default and a backup default route on the L3 endpoint switch. Post the configuration of the endpoint switch you currently have...

Georg,

Would an IP SLA work if the backup router is on a different subnet?

Thanks,

Nick

Hello
I would say there isnt enough information at this time to provide a definitive solution.
Are these routers performing the inter-vlan routing for your lan or do you have another L3 device doing this?
What routing processes are you currently running - static, dynamic(igp.bgp)?.
Do your routers have connection to the same or different service providers?
Are you perfroming network translation (NAT)?

Can you attach a topology diagram for review

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

aul,

I attached a pretty rudimentary topology for what im trying to do here as well as the endpoint switch config. All traffic is routed through one VLAN (10) and both routers get the connection from the same service provider but have different tunnels inside them to different endpoints. No NAT is in place and using EIGRP as the routing protocol.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card