cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

configuring EtherSwitch module on a c2911 ISR G2

ibc-tcs
Level 1
Level 1

We just received a new C2911 G2 ISR and have been trying to configure the EtherSwitch SM-ES2-24-P module on it. Through the router console, I tried assigning an IP address to the router Gi1/1 interface which I assume is the link to the Etherswitch module but all I'm getting is "IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links" - as per the docs, I should be able to assign an IP address on that "logical" interface link.  Any other way for me to configure the ports on that switch module? 

Any help will be highly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edwin Summers
Level 3
Level 3

I'm not familiar with that specific ESM, but have used the 16-port module in the older 2800 series.  That configuration followed the convention described in the linked document, and the logical interface was gi1/0.  Not sure if this helps but offering in case.  Best, -Ed

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/interfaces/software/feature/guide/eesm_sw.pdf

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Edwin Summers
Level 3
Level 3

I'm not familiar with that specific ESM, but have used the 16-port module in the older 2800 series.  That configuration followed the convention described in the linked document, and the logical interface was gi1/0.  Not sure if this helps but offering in case.  Best, -Ed

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/interfaces/software/feature/guide/eesm_sw.pdf

Hello

Are you trying to apply a ip address on a switch interface. As thats the message you get when you try to do this?

On the interface apply " no switchport" then try again

Res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi pdriver,

Thanks for the reply - I tried putting in that command of "no switchport" and got a message "command rejected. Not a convertible port".

The c2911 ISR have a factory-installed description of this interface Gi 1/1 as "internal switch interface connected to service module" - so I am assuming this is the one referred to in the documentation to be used for accessing/configuring the ethernet switch module. Should I be using a differenrt interface - there are 3 onboard GigE interface?

ibc-tcs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Edwin - thanks for the reply. The referenced documentation is the one I am already using and that still points out to assign an IP address to the logical link, the only problem is the device won't allow me.

ibc-tcs
Level 1
Level 1

Finally figured it out. I should have assigned the IP address on the intercface "Gi1/0" instead of Gi1/1 - this was somehow pointed out in the referenced documentation above by Edwin where it says the ESM interface is "always" in the same slot as the "logical link" but on interface "0". So after assigning an IP address on Gi1/0, and issuing the command "service-module Gi1/0 session", lo and behold, the ESM login prompt showed up.

Thanks again to both Edwin and pdriver for the quick assistance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card