cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring multiple VLANs for a single port

gaskincharles
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to configure a 3750 switch port to be able to use two vlans. I know you can do this with a voice and data vlan, but what about two data vlans ? Say I have two devices, one on a 10 subnet and the other on a 172 subnet, but i only have one wall jack for both devices to plug into. So I use a mini switch to connect both devices and connect the switch to the wall jack; and of course this all leads back to one switch port. When I go to enter the switchport access vlan 172 cmd, how would I also make it so the device on the 10 subnet could route out ?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No you can have multiple trunk ports configured  but it won't help you if you are going to a unmanaged miniswitch that can't trunk .

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

danbowencisco
Level 1
Level 1

if you want it to use multiple VLANs then I think you are going to have to make it a trunk port.

Therefore:

switchport trunk encap dot1q

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk vlan allowed VL1,VL2

Dan

Iwas hoping not to have to configure a users port as a trunk port. But that was what I was thinking I would have to do. Are there any consequences that could come with having multiple trunk ports on a switch in my scenario ? The only other port I have trunked are the two etherchannled uplink ports back to the distribution switch.

No you can have multiple trunk ports configured  but it won't help you if you are going to a unmanaged miniswitch that can't trunk .

It a stupid idea, really supid, but I'm not sure what kind of device u want to connect to that wall jack. If it is just a testdevice for example you can devide the 4 pairs in 2 x 2 pairs, so you can use one cable and have to ports on every side...

just an idea, because I see no ather than a trunk if your small switch supports that..

regards,

Sebastian

Yes, Sebastian, I agreed on you. I am thinking though what's the purpose of the question?

..but anyway, to answer the question, hmmm i don't think so.

Glen your right. I think this is my problem.

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

We featured your question on our page. Check out the responses here: http://www.facebook.com/CiscoSupportCommunity/posts/263782097049793

---

Posted by WebUser Cisco NetPro from Cisco Support Community App

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

Create a trunk to transport data traffic from multiple vlans over a single link to another switch. If you want to send untagged data over that link, use native vlan command.

---

Posted by WebUser Neeraj Jagga from Cisco Support Community App

This is a good idea. It's sort of the same thing I do for rspan traffic when doing port spanning.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card