cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring VoIP Phone/DHCP on Layer 3 SWITCH

kram0925
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having issues getting the IP Phone registered to the router when phone is directly connected to the L3 Switch with switchport access/voice VLAN configured on the interface. IP routing and DHCP is enabled on the core SW and its directly connected to the router with IP. static route to vlan20 network is also configured. 

The IP phone was only registered successfully on the layer 2 switch with switchport access/ voice vlan. This only happens when Layer 3 switch has inter-Vlan configured. It works on trunk mode with voice VLAN on the port but not switchport access mode. I have attached the file.

5 Replies 5

Hi @kram0925 

You need to have the 3 Phones entry created on the router.

ephone 1

device-security-mode none

mac-address 0000.0C54.61D9

type 7960

button 1:1

!

ephone 2

mac-address 0090.0C3C.B77D

type 7960

button 1:2

!

ephone 3

mac-address 0001.9659.85B2

type 7960

!

Hi Flavio Miranda,

Yes it got registered when I add the 3rd entry because the port facing the ephone on the layer 3 switch is on trunk mode. but why when i changed it to access mode it gets IP but does not get registered.

interface FastEthernet0/2

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan 20

Let me check

@kram0925  I made it works but I had to make a change. I had to move everything to Vlan1.   I believe the reason is related to tag. It is hard to define how much of it is packetTracer limitation  but it seems when you are using vlan 20 the switch does not understand/accept the  vlan id. When you put the interface in trunk the switch can read the vlan tag and accept it.

As the other switch is also coming inside a trunk, it works for both.  When we remove the trunk on the L3 switch for interface fa0/2 the phone stop working.

But putting on the vlan 1, which is not tagged by default, everything works.

Long story short, I can only assumption that the problem may be related to tag when the interface is not in trunk but I can not prove it. The reason that lead me to that is the fact that vlan 1 works and we know that vlan 1 is not tagged.

Hi sir Flavio Miranda, can you please send the configuration used to solve this network layout. Thanks in advance

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card