cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Confirming console port connection on a stack switch

Mr. Bash
Level 1
Level 1

I am reviewing our console servers to make sure that each console connection actually goes to the device that it's labeled as.  What is puzzling me is that in some scenarios we'll have a switch stack of say 3 switches....I console into [supposedly] switch 02. What command do I run on this switch for it to tell me that I am indeed connected to the second switch in the stack via the console?  I've tried all kinds of things but nothing really confirms I'm in switch 2 or 3 or whatever.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not sure if there is a way to know what switch you are on with console, telnet or SSH. Usually, to login to a stack, you use the master's IP using telnet/ssh or console directly to master to make any changes. From the master, you can issue "session switch 2" (assuming switch 2 is a member switch) to gain access to switch 2 but the commands to do anything on this switch is very limited because you are supposed to make all your changes on the master switch and not any members. A stack of switches is logically one switch. To identify the physical location of the switches, it is a good idea to label them.

HTH

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not sure if there is a way to know what switch you are on with console, telnet or SSH. Usually, to login to a stack, you use the master's IP using telnet/ssh or console directly to master to make any changes. From the master, you can issue "session switch 2" (assuming switch 2 is a member switch) to gain access to switch 2 but the commands to do anything on this switch is very limited because you are supposed to make all your changes on the master switch and not any members. A stack of switches is logically one switch. To identify the physical location of the switches, it is a good idea to label them.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco