Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect 2 Switches with NAS

Robin Bruno
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new in the switching area, I unfortunately have not so much knowledge about Switch Configuration, hope I will find here some help, some direction to go towards :) at least.

We have 2 diferent managable Switches from CISCO: 

Cisco SG200-26

and soon Cisco SG350-28

And a Synology NAS DS214 with one LAN Port

and few Printers...

I would like to find the best way to plug the NAS (also the printers) to theses switches (keeping the same IP Adress) in order to new PC plugged on the new switch aka Cisco SG350-28 to communicate easly with our NAS, also our printers...

They are all atm plugged on the Cisco SG200-26. Not sure about what will happen ad soon as the second Swicth will be on service

I am not sure I am quite clear here... I did my best.

Maybe this have something related with trunk configuration, even so I did not find any clear solution in the community yet.

Thanks in advance for anykind of help

Robin

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Robin,

I am not familiar with the SG series switches but from the sound of it, it looks like you just need to connect the SAN to one of the switches and connect the rest (users, printers, etc..) to one or both switches. Now, if this is a small environment you can put everything in one vlan and connect both switches together using the same vlan.  If you want to use multiple vlans, then you need to have a trunk connection between the 2 switches and carry all the vlans. For this option, You also need to decide what device goes to what vlan.

HTH

Hi Reza, 

Thanks for your answer !

I have figure out figure what vlan really is, and then I will decide if more than one is needed... but I do not think so. After creating this vlan I just add to simply link both switches together on whatever port and that  will do the magie ?

I will give a try !

Thanks

SG is managment switches with some intelect. SG with enable dhcp, can is rogue for another devices. You can have trouble when you put it to worked net. You need configure SG before connected them.

I so far linked both Switch to each other and it seems working...the new Switch has a normal on my Network and give normal IP to new PC, and NAS, drücker are still reachable as normal as I also bind IP/Mac Adress directly from the Router. The rest are automaticcaly attributed...

Maybe a managed Switch was not useful in my case.

Very well, since everything works!
It sounds like it was enough of an unmanageable switch.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card