Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect router/firewall to a voice vlan

Rhys Davies
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need to connect a router to a voice vlan port to allow all voice traffic to exit the VLAN without having to transverse onto the data vlan and use its gateway.

However any device I assign to a voice vlan port is ignored by the switch if it isn’t a phone. This must be a common question and I have one worded differently in the voice forum but as it seems a basic networking question I thought I would add it here too.

Switches – sg500x

Router/Firewall – ASA5512

Desperate for some direction on this. Not cli but general guidance on how this should work.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Not familiar with sg500x, but if you have 2 vlans on the sg500x switch, you need to make the connection to ASA-5512 a trunk port, so both voice and data vlan can reach it.  The other option is to use a separate physical link (one for voce traffic and one for data traffic) from the switch to the firewall and add each vlan to a proper port/link.

HTH

Thanks Reza

Yes the port I am using is in trunk mode.

Also I have made a sub interface on the ASA and assigned it to the voice vlan but no luck.

Sub interface now working once I deleted all the detail from the phyiscal interface as in this thread

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2206103

Can't mark my own answer as correct..........

No but we can

Great thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card