Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting couple of 2960 switches

nick.dumitrescu
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

I have a dilemma on my hands these days. 

We have here a couple of Cisco 2960 switches (one is -S, 3 are -X and one SG350-48P), that are currently connected through copper. The S is the master (connected to the firewall/router, APs, VLAN defined, etc.) while the rest are "slaves". The 350 is the one holding the IP phones. Until now, and currently, they all have two ports defined as trunk, which is used to connect from one to the next. Due to a new project I got the budget to buy SFPs for these switches, so I want to make the most out of them. How can I do that? What do I have to configure so that the speed is at its peak and also, maybe, get some redundancy? How do I connect/configure the new ports from one to another so that I have production online (we run 24/7) no downtimes and get all I need? I need speed more than redundacy, we have network-intensive apps running here.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You can connect the 2960s to 2960X via 2 1Gig fiber interfaces using a Portchannel. Just make sure that the 2960x in fact has a couple of fiber Gig ports and not 10Gig.  Not familiar with SG series switches but as long as they have fiber gig ports and are capable of doing Portchannles, you can do the same with that. 

HTH

Morning,

Thanks for your answer, but I may have been a little ambigous, your answer makes sense on my story but I did not get the answer I need.

I want to connect switches by one copper wire and by the fiber cable. What is the function that allows me to do that? What should I configure? It should be like NIC teaming in Windows, so that instead of 1Gb link that I have now, I will have one 2Gb link.

Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card