Views
Helpful
Replies

connecting routers via serial interface

allitnils
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

I'm fairly new to the world of Cisco (and by fairly new, I mean I've been reading the ICND1 book over the past few weeks), and have decided to buy a few routers to start getting some hands on experience on real equpiment.

While I managed to connect to each router individually, I decided it was time to connect the routers together via serial; as I don't have any serial cables and need to buy some, I thought the best thing to do would be to ask someone what serial cables I need, as well as to ask whether I have the right cards in my router(s) that will allow me to do so.

I bought 3 1841 routers, and all have a 1 port serial WAN Interface Card (WIC 1-T); one router has 2 of these, and one router has a WIC-1B-S/T ..

My question is, can I connect the routers with a serial cable via WIC 1-T, or do I need a 2-T for what I'm trying to do..?

Thanks for the help, and excuse my naivity; if I need to add more information to have the question answered properly please let me know.

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Yes, you can connect them together.  You basically daisy chain the routers together using DTE/DCE cables.  The router that has 2 WICs is the one that will connect to the other 2 routers.   Something like this

R1------------R2----------R3 in this case R2 is the one with 2 WICs.  Since you are connecting these routers back to back you need a serial cables with one side as DCE and the other side as DTE.

Here is a link showing the cable:

http://www.showmecables.com/product/CISCO-DTE-TO-DCE-CABLE-5-FT.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=CAB-TC-5&gclid=CPC7w7nPmLMCFYuZ4AodTHAAuw

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card