cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting the Cisco SG 300-20 SFP (miniGBIC) port to my ISP's WiFi modem routerabit

rtan2020
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new Cisco SG 300-20 L3 switch. It comes with 18+2 Ethernet ports.  The last 2 ports have been designated as SFP ports - small form factor pluggable.  They're also known as miniGBIC ports - miniGigabit Interface Converter ports.  The Cisco manual explains the SFP ports as follows:

"SFP ports are connection points for modules, so the switch can link to other switches.  ... SFP ports are compatible with Cisco modules MGBT1, MGBSX1 ... as well as other  brands of modules".

My question is:  Can I connect to my ISP's WiFi/Router using one of these SFP ports, or should I be using any one of the other 18 "standard" Ethernet ports?  The ISP's WiFi/Router is also a Layer 3 switch, but I do not understand the implication of the word 'module' as documented in Cisco's manual.

Would be grateful for some guidance, advice or tips.

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

My question is:  Can I connect to my ISP's WiFi/Router using one of these SFP ports, or should I be using any one of the other 18 "standard" Ethernet ports?  The ISP's WiFi/Router is also a Layer 3 switch, but I do not understand the implication of the word 'module' as documented in Cisco's manual.

SFP with fiber is usually used for uplink and when the distance is longer than 100 meters. If your devices are close to each other (less than 100 meters or 328 foot) you can simply use one of the 18  copper ports and connect the switch to the provider's equipment.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card