cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting to management port from oob switch

drewpamon
Level 1
Level 1

so i have an new environment with two core switches 4 access switches and 3 out of band switches. The oob switches are directly connected to the management port (gi 0/0) on every switch. The management ports are all given 192.168.1.x addresses and on the oob switch are assigned to vlan 10. Each switch has a vlan int for vlan 10 on the 192.168.10.x subnet. I'm not able to ping or ssh to any of the switches either on the .1 or .10 address except on the switch I'm currently logged into.

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure what type of switches you have, but for most switches the management interface is in a different vrf. So, if you want to ping the gateway for the management interface use a vrf. 

ping vrf Mgmt-vrf 192.168.1.x. In this case x is whatever the IP address of the gateway maybe.

HTH

Pinging worked thanks but ssh doesn't seem to. Is there another command i need to use?

Does the IOS you are using support SSH? In order for an image to support SSH, it needs to have a "9k" in the naming conventions. see example: cat9k-cc_srdriver.16.08.01a.SPA.pkg

If you have this, than you also need to use the same vrf name when using ssh.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card