cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting two switch stacks over p2p Link

eric.humphries1
Level 1
Level 1

We have two locations with a p2p between them. specifics aside, if i want to plug that p2p link capable of pushing a trunk on the switches, what are all the things I need to look at/consider first. One of the other network engineers plugged in the p2p link sometime back and it caused a lot of problems from what I suspect was OSPF and VTP (lack of domains and passwords to really isolate the dynamic protocols is my first suspicion). 

Some details:

Stack 1 - 7 3750-x switches

Stack 2 - 3 3850 switches

I want to make sure I don't end up in the same boat this weekend. I plan on configuring each stack so they have unique VTP domains, vtp passwords, and ospf passwords. But what else should I consider? I don't think they tried to stack being different hardware, feature sets, and IOS versions.

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Couple of questions :

1. Do you have high level topology of network

2. Do you have any other switches connected behind these 2 Stacks ?

3. if you looking only connect these 2 switches. what is the goal ?

- extend the VLAN, or extend the IP connectivity.

If you looking proper solution with out any issue you looking to have before. please post the both the configuration of the switches with the above questions answered, we can suggest best to minimise the network outage with the best practice.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

what do you want to accomplish, extend the trunk across the P2P link, which would mean extending the layer 2 domain, or connect both sites through OSPF, which would mean extending the layer 3 (OSPF) domain ?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card