cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connection timed out to switch

VON CLAWSON
Level 3
Level 3

I am working with a customer who has about 20 3750 switches.  Every once in a while when trying to telnet to a switch I will get the following:

Connection timed out; remote host not responding

Sometimes I will get "connection refused"

The switch is actually working fine and passing traffic ok.  Only a reboot of the switch fixes the issue.

any idea what could be happening?

Please rate if this helps.
5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If a reboot fixes the issue the I'm suspecting you have an IOS bug.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I am working with a customer who has about 20 3750 switches.  Every once in a while when trying to telnet to a switch I will get the following:

Connection timed out; remote host not responding

Sometimes I will get "connection refused"

The switch is actually working fine and passing traffic ok.  Only a reboot of the switch fixes the issue.

any idea what could be happening?

Hi,

Whenever you try to telnet to switch at that time can  you  take console of the switch,if yes can you any see what logs are coming while telnet request is coming into switch.

Ganesh.H

Next time you telnet to a switch, do a show line, and see if there are any zombie telnet sessions taking up all the vty lines.  It could simply be an operational problem, especially if you have no timeout and no keepalive on the telnet sessions.  Do all the operators remember to disconnect the telnet session when they have finished with it?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

I logged into one of them and it shows 16 vty sessions.  Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the default exec-timeout 10 in the line vty disconnect these sessions?  If not how to I get these sessions to automatically disconnect?  How many bad sessions like this will stop me from being able to telnet?

on second look only one of those lines was being used and it was the one I was on.  When looking at any of the switches I can get to if I do a sh users I see only 1 vty being used.  So it appears that there are no orfan sessions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: