Views
Helpful
Replies

Connectivity from Core to Firewall

errrrnv85
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Apologies if it has been discussed before but i didnt seem to be able to find the answer.

I am new to Enterprise networking or i should say routing and switching but i am in a situation where i have been asked to help whilst our network engineer is away.

I am trying to route a Test Vlan from Access Switch to Firewall and then internet.

Access Switch----------------------->Core Switch--------------------------------------> Firewall---------------->Internet

I have configured the VLAN on Access Layer and an SVI for the same VLAN on Core which seems to be fine. I am strugling to establish L3 connectivity between Core and Firewall (Palo Alto)

We already have a default route on our core and that points to the ASA firewal and then its routed back to the Core switch (Depending on the prefix) of course and then specific routes to the ISA proxy. Our Network engineer seems to be against default routes on the core switches.

Now the challenge i am facing is how do i route then VLAN from Core to Firewall??? There is of course a Layer 3 SVI for the Vlan and a Gig interface (Which Connects to Palo Alto firewall). Now of course there cant be two Layer 3 interfaces with the same IP range. If i create Gi as Layer 3 then how do i tag the VLAN traffic to Layer 3 interface? If i keep the Gig interface as L2 then of course it wont be routed to firewall.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Firstly gi1/1 on the core is not tagged because it is an access port.

If you are just trying this for vlan 2026 then the firewall port should be L3 with an IP assigned.

If gi1/1 was a trunk link then the firewall would need to use subinterfaces, one for each vlan.

When you say communication won't work because on the core it is L2 and on the firewall L3 that is not right because that setup is exactly what you want.

If you made gi1/1 on the core switch L3 then the IP subnet would only exist between that port and the firewall ie. your clients would have to be in a different IP subnet.

You want to simply extend L2 all the way from the access switch to the firewall so all ports need to be L2 until they get to the L3 interface on the firewall.

One thing to check is your access switch connects to the core switch with an uplink.

How are the ports on either end of that link configured ie. if a trunk then you need to make sure your vlan is allowed on that link.

Jon

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the test vlan ony needs access to the Palo Alto firewall and nothing else then don't use an SVI on the core switch, simply extend the vlan to the firewall interface then you don't need to worry about adding routes to the core switch.

So the gig interface is an access port in the same vlan and the firewall interface uses the IP you are currently using on the SVI.

If the test vlan needs access to anything else or the Palo Alto firewall is being used for other things as well then obviously this won't work.

So can you clarify ?

Jon

I have tried different things on Gig interface on the core i.e. trunk or access but of course i have been doing it wrong either of the ends.

I also thought of extending the VLan all the way to Palo Alto Firewall. So if i create VLANs and interface connecting to core as L2 how am i going to route it on the firewall then?

Later on i would like to move more traffic (VLANs) from Core to Palo so ideally i would like to have a trunk between core and Palo but not sure how would i go about it really.

Does it make it any clearer??

Er

You don't route the traffic to the firewall because the firewall IP is the default gateway of the clients in your test vlan ie.

client (vlan 20) -> core switch  -> firewall -> internet

in the above vlan 20 exists at L2 in the vlan database on the core switch but you don't have a L3 SVI for it.

And the port connecting the core switch to the firewall is an access port in vlan 20.

Like i say this only works if  -

1) the clients in vlan 20 don't need access to anything else

and

2) the firewall is only  being used for this test connectivity.

Jon

Thanks again and i understand it.

How about if i want to trunk multiple vlans please?

As long as the Palo Alto firewall support subinterfaces and understands vlan tags you should be able to do that.

One thing worth mentioning is that if you have multiple vlans that you want to use that firewall but also communicate freely with each other then terminating all vlans on the firewall may not be the best way to go.

Using SVIs and perhaps VRFs can help keep traffic separate.

Diffiult to say without knowing more details.

Jon

Sure let me try and i will share the results if thats ok.

No problem.

Jon

Allright i tried extending VLAN to Palo but it still doesnt seems to be working.

Access Switch

===========

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 375 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/42
switchport access vlan 2026 <<<<<<<------Access Port with VLAN 2026
switchport mode access
end

Core Switch

==========

Current configuration : 129 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/1
description TCC-PA-1-Gi1/7 <<<<<<-----------Connected to Palo
switchport
switchport access vlan 2026 <<<<<----Access and tagged as VLAN 2026
switchport mode access
end

I have shut down the SVIs on the core

Now i have tried to configure the Gi 1/7 interface on Palo as default gateway with IP 10.132.26.1 for clients on VLAN 2026.

In order to assign an IP i have to create it as Layer 3. If i do that so communication wont go thru because on Core i am creating it as L2 and on Palo as L3. 

If i dont create interface as L3 on Palo then i cant give it the default gateway IP.

I am sorry but my understanding isnt great.

Firstly gi1/1 on the core is not tagged because it is an access port.

If you are just trying this for vlan 2026 then the firewall port should be L3 with an IP assigned.

If gi1/1 was a trunk link then the firewall would need to use subinterfaces, one for each vlan.

When you say communication won't work because on the core it is L2 and on the firewall L3 that is not right because that setup is exactly what you want.

If you made gi1/1 on the core switch L3 then the IP subnet would only exist between that port and the firewall ie. your clients would have to be in a different IP subnet.

You want to simply extend L2 all the way from the access switch to the firewall so all ports need to be L2 until they get to the L3 interface on the firewall.

One thing to check is your access switch connects to the core switch with an uplink.

How are the ports on either end of that link configured ie. if a trunk then you need to make sure your vlan is allowed on that link.

Jon

Hi Jon,

I have actually tried both ways.

I have created a new VLAN on Access Switch>>>>>Core Switch>>>>>>Palo Alto in order to get to Internet. I am simply trying to extend the VLAN domain all the way to Palo Alto

XXX-FLOOR3- Gi1/0/42>>>>>>>>>>>>>Where the client connects

XXX-FLOOR3#sh run in gigabitEthernet 1/0/42

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/42

switchport access vlan 2026

switchport mode access

no logging event power-inline-status

end

XXX-FLOOR3-PO13 >>>>>>>Uplink to Core

interface Port-channel13

description XXX-CORE-1-Gi1-0-49-Gi2-0-49

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,12,2012,2021,2026,2070,2102,2134,2174 >>>>>>>>>>VLAN 2026 is Allowed

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

logging event trunk-status

spanning-tree portfast disable

end

XXX-Core-1-PO13>>>>>>>>Up Link to Access Layer Switch

interface Port-channel13

description XXX-FLOOR3-Gi2-9-Gi4-21

switchport

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,12,2012,2021,2026,2070,2102,2134,2174 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>VLAN 2026 is allowed

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

mtu 9216

logging event link-status

logging event trunk-status

mls qos trust cos

spanning-tree portfast disable

end

XXX-Core-1#sh run in gigabitEthernet 1/1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Interface that connects to Palo Alto so I created this as Access port (L2)

description XXX-PA-1-Gi1/7

switchport

switchport access vlan 2026

switchport mode access

end

On Palo I have created a Layer 3 interface for VLAN 2026 and assigned the IP 10.132.26.1 as a default gateway. Pic attached.

Now when I try to ping 10.132.26.1 from core I cant

XXX-Core-1#ping 10.132.26.1

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.132.26.1, timeout is 2 seconds:

Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

XXX-Core-1#

As far as Palo is concerned interface belongs to trust zone and Ping profile is applied. I have added 10.132.0.0/16 to Ping profile which will allow ping from anything 10.132.x.x. There is already a rule on Palo from Trust to Trust allow.

I have also tried creating Gi1/1 as trunk.

Current configuration : 173 bytes
!
description TCC-PA-1-Gi1/7
switchport
switchport trunk allowed vlan 2026
switchport mode trunk
end

Created a sub interface on Palo..Picture attached. But it just wont work and i am just pulling my hair out.

I am not even sure what should i try next.

Can you temporarily create an SVI for that vlan on the core switch with the IP you are assigning to the firewall interface and test ping from clients.

If that works I think that points to something on the firewall.

Jon

Hi Jon,

That is something i have done in the past and it worked fine.

XXX-Core-1#sh run int vlan 2026

Current configuration : 229 bytes
!
interface Vlan2026
description Test VLAN
ip address 10.132.26.253 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 128.1.15.98
no ip redirects
no ip proxy-arp
standby version 2
standby 2026 ip 10.132.26.1
standby 2026 priority 150
end

XXX-Core-2#sh run in vlan 2026

Current configuration : 229 bytes
!
interface Vlan2026
description Test VLAN
ip address 10.132.26.254 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 128.1.15.98
no ip redirects
no ip proxy-arp
standby version 2
standby 2026 ip 10.132.26.1
standby 2026 priority 120
end

XXX-Core-2#

XXX-FLOOR3#ping 10.132.26.253

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.132.26.253, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/2/8 ms

XXX-FLOOR3#ping 10.132.26.1

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.132.26.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/2/8 ms
XXX-FLOOR3#

I am not sure what could it be on firewall since rule is there....issue is definitely between the core and firewall.

I agree the issue is on the firewall.

Have you tried pinging from the firewall to a client ie. sometimes firewalls are picky about accepting ping (even though you have configured it to do so) but happy if they initiate the ping.

I don't have any experience with that model of firewall so not sure what else to suggest.

All I can say at the moment is that your switch configuration looks good to me.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Np much appreciatred you time and effort. I will continue to investigate and try different options and will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again..have a good weekend.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card