Views
Helpful
Replies

Connectivity Issue with Cisco IE4000 Switch

novice2k
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone,

I'm encountering a puzzling connectivity issue with my Cisco IE4000 Switch and I'm hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on it.

Here's the setup: I have a Cisco IE4000 Switch connected to a machine and two computers. Both computers are running the Simatic Manager S7 software to control the machine. The catch is that only one computer can be connected to the machine at a time.

Interestingly, both computers can ping the machine without any problems. In a wireshark I can see 3-Way TCP Handshake but the Software will not connect to the machine.

However, in order to switch the connection from one computer to the other, I have to shutdown the simatic manager from the working computer.

Both the computers and the machine are on the same VLAN (3), and the ports they are connected to on the Cisco switch are configured as access ports. When I change the vlan on the ports from 3 to 1, it's working

Now, here's where it gets even more perplexing. When I replace the Cisco switch with a simple 8-port Netgear switch, both computers can establish a connection to the machine simultaneously without any issues.

So, my question is: why does this setup work with the Netgear switch but not with the Cisco IE4000? Is there something specific about the Cisco switch's configuration that might be causing this behavior?

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

9 Replies 9

Hello,

I think the IE4000 has two licenses, lanbase and enhancedlanbase. 

IE2000(config)#license boot level ?
enhancedlanbase enhanced lanbase level
lanbase lanbase level

Can you check if changing to the one you don't have installed makes a difference ? You need to reboot the switch to activate the new license...

This didn't solve the issue

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@novice2k wrote:

When I change the vlan on the ports from 3 to 1, it's working

Now, here's where it gets even more perplexing. When I replace the Cisco switch with a simple 8-port Netgear switch, both computers can establish a connection to the machine simultaneously without any issues.

Is the Netgear switch configured for VLAN 3 or only VLAN 1?

No, this switch is not vlan aware

@novice2k wrote:
No, this switch is not vlan aware

Exactly my point.

This means this "machine" has a badly configured NIC which is intolerant to VLAN and if the NIC is put into a any other port, other than VLAN 1, is going to cause problem. 

Connect the Netgear to the switch.  Connect this "machine" to the Netgear switch and see if this makes any difference.

This machine and the clients are connected to access ports. This means, this machines dont use vlan tags.

@novice2k wrote:
This means, this machines dont use vlan tags.

Correct.

So connect the PC to the Netgear switch and the Netgear switch to the Cisco switch.

thanks

novice2k
Level 1
Level 1

No one an idea?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card