cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Console connection to 2950 switch

apadilla85016
Level 1
Level 1
I have a console connection to my switch (an rg45 to serial) The serial is a flat ribbon dongle cable that has pins on the motherboard and uses a bracket. When i go into putty on my win 7 64 bit system . i just get a blank terminal screen. This is the second switch I have ordered from eBay and from a different seller. I also tried my fathers computer with a integrated serial port (part of the motherboard connections) and have the same result: a blank screen when i enter into my putty program. I also tried three different console cables with the same result . Could i be configuring the default settings wrong? - See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12539896/console-connection-2950-switch#comment-10591291
I have a console connection to my switch (an rg45 to serial) The serial is a flat ribbon dongle cable that has pins on the motherboard and uses a bracket. When i go into putty on my win 7 64 bit system . i just get a blank terminal screen. This is the second switch I have ordered from eBay and from a different seller. I also tried my fathers computer with a integrated serial port (part of the motherboard connections) and have the same result: a blank screen when i enter into my putty program. I also tried three different console cables with the same result . Could i be configuring the default settings wrong? - See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12539896/console-connection-2950-switch#sthash.GMBqx5Q1.dpuf
33 Replies 33

Yes! Yes! Yes! it worked!!  I disabled and took the serial port with dongle cable off my motherboard. I had to find the right drivers which were not on the site I was told to go to but I used Google and and installed the USB to RS232 serial on my Win 7 64 bit system .Putty and Tera term put me in my switches initial config dialog page. MUCH MUCH THANKS TO YOU AND EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM!!!!!!!!

That sounds good, rate the post and choose answered question please

Greetings

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Console-Cable-xFF08-Windows/dp/B00KMRVGFO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1436813810&sr=8-6&keywords=cisco+console+cable

I use one of these, super handy and you'll never have to worry about installing or finding drivers because the PID chip is built in and will auto install the correct drive when you plug it in. 

I'm glad this worked for you! you've been struggling with this for some time now! CONGRATS!

Actually I was referring to the serial connection that the console cable goes to. The serial port on my system which was connected to pins on the motherboard from a flat ribbon cable was not being recognized by putty or teraterm. I bought a USB TO RS232  converter. Or a usb to serial cable adapter. I downloaded my drivers for it and it works.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card