Views
Helpful
Replies

Console port not working.

peresbr01
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I would like to know if there's some situation what a console port could be disabled, or something like that.
I'm trying to configure a Catalyst 2960 Series PoE-24 by the console port using the hyperterminal, but it's not working. I verified the cable and the COM port, and everything works with another switch (same model).

Does anyone knows what could possibly be happening?

53 Replies 53

Trying all of the speed rates is a good step in troubleshooting. Sorry that it was not successful. What terminal emulator are you using? For some of the emulators it is necessary to stop and restart the connection each time you change the speed. Is that perhaps the case here? 

Not getting any output at all when you boot the device is concerning. Have you verified the settings on your computer for the terminal emulator? Is it possible to check your settings, your emulator, and your console cable by connecting to some other Cisco device console port?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes, I am able to connect to the other Cisco devices using the same settings. Also, I always started and stopped the connection every time I changed speed settings.

I suspect it is a Hardware problem.

@Richard Burts wrote:

Trying all of the speed rates is a good step in troubleshooting. Sorry that it was not successful. What terminal emulator are you using? For some of the emulators it is necessary to stop and restart the connection each time you change the speed. Is that perhaps the case here? 

Not getting any output at all when you boot the device is concerning. Have you verified the settings on your computer for the terminal emulator? Is it possible to check your settings, your emulator, and your console cable by connecting to some other Cisco device console port?

HTH

Rick

Yes, I am able to connect to the other Cisco devices using the same settings. Also, I always started and stopped the connection every time I changed speed settings.

I suspect it is a Hardware problem.

@Richard Burts wrote:

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the clarification that you have used the connection for console access with other Cisco equipment successfully. This verifies that it is not an issue with your console cable or with setting in your terminal emulator. And thanks for confirming that as you tested with all of the console speeds that you have stoped and restarted the console session. Especially with the fact that when you reboot that there is no output on console I would agree that most likely this is a hardware problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Just a heads up Richard- I was able to set the ip address and update the
ios and seems like the issue is resolved. However, it seems to do this
every couple months. I'll post something when it does it again. Thanks for
all your help!!

James

James

Thanks for the update. Glad to know that you got it working again. And glad to know that you were able to update IOS. We do not know what caused the issue but updating IOS might help to prevent whatever it was.

If it does happen again let us know and provide whatever information you can about it. And please remember that deleting the startup config is not helpful. Having access via the aux port and via telnet (or SSH perhaps) to the IP on the Ethernet gives you access and the ability to troubleshoot and hopefully fix the issue.

If it does happen again that you lose the ability to connect using the console port it might be helpful if you would post the output of show line.

Another thought: do you ever attempt to change the inactivity timeout of the console (using exec-timeout) or remove the inactivity timeout (using no exec-timeout)? Be aware that the abbreviation no exec does not remove the inactivity timeout but does remove the exec process on the console which then makes it impossible to connect to the console.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks again for the reply. I did use no-exec, and have a feeling that may
have been creating the issue.

I do have a question about updating the ROM/bootstrap on my 2511 access
server. What is the process to do this? Will it update while installing an
IOS?

Thanks again!
Jamed

James

If you used the command no exec, believing that it was an abbreviation for no exec-timeout, then it certainly would produce the symptoms of not being able to use the console connection. That is why I advocate that if you want to eliminate the inactivity timeout that people use exec-timeout 0 rather than no exec-timeout. Logically both commands produce the same result. But as you can now testify one of those commands can get you into trouble if you are careless with it.

It has been a long time since I have used 2511 and my memory of some specifics is not to be trusted. But the basic answer to your question is that 2511 rom bootstrap is a separate file from the IOS image. If you can get an updated 2511 rom file you could update the bootstrap on your 2511. This update is separate from the upgrade of IOS.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard, I have the similar problem:

Recently I got a Catalyst 4506 Switch (used) and was trying to console it. It seems that it starts booting in ROMMON mode, but stops at $$. I have tried with all baud rate step by step, but still does not work and the previous owner confirmed me that he used to use default baud rate (9600). Do you have any suggestion, how I can console the Switch succesfully? Thanks.

Here is the message I get at start:
* Welcome to Rom Monitor for WS-X4515 System. *
* Copyright (c) 2003-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc. *
* All rights reserved. *

Rom Monitor Program Version 12.2(31r)SGA4
Supervisor: WS-X4515 Chassis: WS-C4506
Hardware Revisions - Board: 2.7 CPLD: 28 Dagobah: 95

MAC Address : 00-0d-bd-61-a7-b2
Ip Address : Not set.
Netmask : Not set.
Gateway : Not set.
TftpServer : Not set.
Main Memory : 512 MBytes

***** The system will autoboot in 5 seconds *****

Type control-C to prevent autobooting.
. . . . .

******** The system will autoboot now ********

config-register = 0x102
Autobooting using BOOT variable specified file.....

Could not find a valid file in BOOT environment variable.
BOOT variable can be set from IOS. To find currently set
Rom Monitor variables, please type 'set' command.

For help on choosing a boot method, type 'confreg' command.
$$
----------------------------------------------------------------

Then I changed the Baud rate step-by-step and get the following outputs at various BAUD:

$$
$$
$$ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~øøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøàààààààààààààààààààààààà
$$
$$
$$
$$

Regards

Motiar

Motiar

It looks to me like the console was working before you changed the speed setting. The very odd characters you are getting now are a common sign of a mismatch on console speed. So I suggest that you go back to the original console speed. 

The output that you post shows that the switch is not able to complete a normal boot, and that is probably the problem you need to solve. You might start by getting a directory listing of what is in flash (or bootflash depending on the particular switch model). Then in rommon use the set command (as suggested) to see what the switch is attempting to boot). Then use the set command to change the switch to use a valid image file in flash.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard,

Thanks for your feedback.

I got this Switch (4500) as it is and as soon I did console it, I got this problem - stops at $$. I don't know the original console speed, but the previous owner confirmed me that he always used to use the console speed of 9600. 

It is a Supervisor IV and there is no dedicated compact Flash card in it. Is there any other way how to get into rommon mode? Somehow I need to get into rommon mode.

regards

Motiar

Motiar

On this switch you get into rommon by power cycling the switch, and pressing ctrl-C within 5 seconds. This prevents auto boot and puts you into rommon. You can find more details in this link

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-4000-series-switches/21229-pswdrec-cat4000-supiii-21229.html

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard

I thought rommon mode is always in the of rommon>. But the $$, after pressing ctrl-C within 5 seconds, is also the rommon mode. In $$ mode I was able to set the IP with fa1, default gateway, boot image using TFTP Server etc. same as the function of rommon>.

I got two Switche of this model, after pressing ctrl-C of one Switch I get into rommon> and the other into  $$. But both of the modes do the same thing! My problem solved somehow.

Regards

Motiar

Motiar

Thanks for the update telling us that your problem is solved. I am glad that my suggestions pointed you in the right direction. I am not sure about the difference in the prompts. Perhaps there is some difference in the boot loader code?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Dear Richard Burts,

I was searching about a solution for a similar case, that the console output is working while typing is not responding at all.

Actually, I have found a lot of links and discussions on the Internet that never ended with a solution!

During reading this old discussion here, that you have involved in since 2012 I guess! I have found a lot of solutions that are worthy but for the common traditional issues! 

One of the most weird problem, is to find that once you start your switch for example, and connect your terminal to the console, all the output is okay, till reaching the following part of output:

00:00:14: %SPANTREE-5-EXTENDED_SYSID: Extended SysId enabled for type vlan 00:00:17: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console 00:00:17: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted -- Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(19)EA1c, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Mon 02-Feb-04 23:29 by yenanh

then you can not enter any letter even, like the keyboard is not working!

some guys thought that going to the switch: mode will help, actually even when you go to that mode, you can not type any letter as well!

Actually, I faced such a problem, and I have searched everywhere! but I wasn't lucky enough to find such an issue solved anywhere, I have found some suggestion from a Cisco Employee through "Cisco Learning Network" website, and he was suggesting Replacing  the switch! as a result, the one who issued that problem replaced it!!!!!!! I couldn't believe that it can happen! 

Anyway, and without any more prolongation, I have fixed it, and I would like to share my experience in order to point others to the hardware limitations as well! 

The Solution was simply to open the body of the switch itself, and to plug out the console port wire from the switch board, then power the switch on, and again turn it of, and finally plug in the console wire back, when you power the switch, the console input will work prefect! 

Note: you can check the disassembly process and procedures photos as attached! 

The conclusion, is some time you need to assume some hardware limitations when you pass all the usual software troubleshooting procedures! 

Thanks, and wishing to be useful and helpful for those who suffer the same issue, or even to be added as an additional experience to the people who like to learn! 

Andrew Khalil! 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card