cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Console port

SteveHoyle
Level 1
Level 1

We are trying to use the Cisco Configuration Professional.  I connected my PC vis USB to USB.  Professional could't connect via USB, I got an error ~ can't detect anything in COM1 or COM2.  I was able to get hyperterminal to work via USB.  Does Professional only connect via the Ethernet connector?

Also, CCP will recognize COM3 (USB Serial) while hyper terminal is connected to the router.  But, gives an error that COM3 is already in use and disconnect before using that connection.  When I disconnect CCP doesn't recognize the connection any longer.

Thanks,

Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You are right Steve, I apologize for my comment. I just read the documentation and it says you can use CCP over console port but I didn't see anything about using CCP over USB.

Siddhartha

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

siddhartham
Level 4
Level 4

You can't use Cisco Configuration professional over console port, it can be used to remotely configure the routers like an ASDM for Firewalls or SDM for routers.

Siddhartha

Thank-you.  I'm confused though.  When I view the CCP documentation it says I can connect to the console port, and shows a diagram with the PC connected to the RJ45 console port.  It also shows that it can connect through a modem attached to the AUX console RJ45 port.  The 2900 added a mini USB console port.  We downloaded the CISCO serial USB driver and connected a PC through USB to mini-USB and could run hyperterminal.  We then used CCP on the same PC but couldn't establish a connection through the USB ports.  I'm assuming that CISCO did not add USB interfaces to CCP, and I will need a DB9/RJ45 cable and connect the PC to the RJ45 console port.  This make sense?

You are right Steve, I apologize for my comment. I just read the documentation and it says you can use CCP over console port but I didn't see anything about using CCP over USB.

Siddhartha

OK.  I've ordered the DB9 - RJ45 cable.  Thanks again

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card