Views
Helpful
Replies

Converting the VSS Active Switch to Standalone

rakeshvelagala
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

Can please help to advise on the below regarding VSS.

1) Two switched are currently in VSS (6500 single sup in each chassis). If we are converting them to standalone, we have to issue 

#switch convert mode stand-alone

Can we issue this command on the standby  instead of on the active VSS switch?

Is there any downtime involved?

I read from the document if we issue the command, the chassis will reboot and puts all interface in shutdown mode.

Except the port-channel, can I bring all the other interfaces to "no shut"?

2)How can I make sure that both of them goes to SSO after I have changed both of them to standby

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/15-1-2/XE_340/configuration/guide/config/vss.html#wp1056162

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

No, with VSS, the 2 devices logically are one, so all commands are issued on the active device.

Yes, as the interfaces need to be converted back to none VSS.  So, for example with VSS an interface can be 1/2/5 which means switch 1 blade 2 and port 5.  Now, as soon as you convert to stand alone the interface will have to change back to 2/5 and this will require reboot and down time.

2)How can I make sure that both of them goes to SSO after I have changed both of them to standby

In a stand alone mode, If you have one sup per chassis, SSO is not possible.  SSO is only used when you have 2 sups in a chassis.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

No, with VSS, the 2 devices logically are one, so all commands are issued on the active device.

Yes, as the interfaces need to be converted back to none VSS.  So, for example with VSS an interface can be 1/2/5 which means switch 1 blade 2 and port 5.  Now, as soon as you convert to stand alone the interface will have to change back to 2/5 and this will require reboot and down time.

In a stand alone mode, If you have one sup per chassis, SSO is not possible.  SSO is only used when you have 2 sups in a chassis.

HTH

Hi Reza,

Many thanks for your reply. Can you please advise from the doc

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/15-1-2/XE_340/configuration/guide/config/vss.html#wp1056162

"

Conversion from VSS to standalone causes all physical interfaces to be administratively shutdown and written to the startup-config. This is a safeguard against a standalone system arriving in the network alive and conflicting with a bridge or router MAC address, which might still be there if one of the VSS switches is still running in VSS mode. We do not recommend that you convert a VSS to standalone in a live network."

So say if on Switch1, I issued switch convert mode stand-alone. Will it reload both the switches? or switch1 alone?

Will all the interfaces of both the switches in shutdown state? Kindly advice.

Thanks

Hi,

So say if on Switch1, I issued switch convert mode stand-alone. Will it reload both the switches? or switch1 alone?

As soon as you convert it to stand alone, the active switch (1) will reboot.

Please remember that this will cause on outage in your environment.  So, you need to have a outage window (during off hours) to do this task, if not you have people and management screaming at you.

Will all the interfaces of both the switches in shutdown state? Kindly advice.

Not 100% sure about this, but you need to be prepared for outage.

Question:

Why are you converting to stand alone?

HTH

hi,

i know this thread was created in 2014.

my Question is if i am moving out from VSS (C6509) to new C9500, do i still need to run "switch convert mode stand-alone" command on the active switch1 then i remove switch1, or i can straight away power down switch 1 to let it failover to switch 2 and replace switch 1 w C9500?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card