cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Copy 3850 switch stack Config, and Priority Stacking

david.klein
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have 2960 stacks in our uplink closets at East.  We are going to replace them with all 3850 switches next week.  What I planned on doing is copying the current 3850 config at East campus MDF to the new switches in IDF and of course changing management IP and anything else I needed to change.  Can I copy the config and keep the QOS intact on the new 3850 and I also believe there was a auto software upgrade command I need to run before I put each new switch in the stack.

The big question I have is this.  I want to make sure I get the switch priority correct so that Switch 1 is actually switch 1 and contains ports G1/0/1 – 48, and Switch 2 is actually Switch 2 and contains Switch ports G2/0/1 -48, etc , etc.  I also want to make sure that if a switch should go bad in the middle of the stack and I need to replace it, I want to know if I just basically run the auto software command give it the same switch priority, put it back in place, and it gets the same Numbers on the switch ports when I put it back in place.

I should be able to handle port channel and everything else.  Any other input would be appreciated

Config I will be transferring to new switch stack is attached.  Figured I can transfer config then change switch priority, and command "software auto update" then add to switch stack

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Don't copy the QoS because the QoS settings for a 2K is totally different to a 3K.

Actually the config I am copying from is a 3850 Switch. I am not copying from 2960 to 3850 config. Will QOS be fine then?

Don't copy the QoS.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card