cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Copy config from old switch to new switch

helpwithcisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2960 24 port switch. I need to take the current config and put it on the new 48 port 2960 switch.

Copy and paste of the txt file is not working. I get lots of errors. I read that this should work.  I am using tera term and did changed the "delay per line" from 10 -50ms and that didnt work.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help

15 Replies 15

eddiebrown1986
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mandy,

If you are able to telnet to your switch from a PC to gain access to the configuration screens then you will be able to us4e TFTP.

You can download a free TFTP server from: http://www.solarwinds.com/products/freetools/free_tftp_server.aspx. Install this software onto the machine that has telnet access to the switch. Once installed open up the TFTP server, it is already set up to use.

Telnet to your switch and use the copy running-config tftp: command

It will then ask for a hostname or IP address: [ip addy of the PC with the TFTP server on it]

hit enter to accept the default file name.

It will then save it to the root of C:\TFTP-root

There you will be able to see your config file from the switch. Now get the other switch configured to be accessible through telnet as well and simply use the reverse command. copy TFTP: running-config

Point it to the tftp server again and to the file in TFTP-root.

Here is what a successful copy running-config tftp: output looks like:

ROLIAJ01#copy running-config tftp

ROLIAJ01#copy running-config tftp:

Address or name of remote host []? 192.168.20.41

Destination filename [roliaj01-confg]?

!!

3178 bytes copied in 0.896 secs (3547 bytes/sec) ROLIAJ01#copy running-config tftp
ROLIAJ01#copy running-config tftp:
Address or name of remote host []? 192.168.20.41
Destination filename [roliaj01-confg]?
!!
3178 bytes copied in 0.896 secs (3547 bytes/sec)

If it doesn't work try looking at the PC's firewall. I always just remove the firewall to do it.

Regards,

Eddie

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card