cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Core Switch Migration Issue

Mat Barry
Level 1
Level 1

I've just migrated from a 3750 stack to a 3850 stack.  They were connected via trunk and all was well.   After the migration was complete, we disconnected the trunk and all devices lost connectivity on the new stack.    I cleared the arp table, but I'm guessing this may be due to something with STP.  

This is the first Migration I've done in this manner (without a straight replacement) and I'm sure it's something simple I need to do.   

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you check to make sure VTP is turned off or is in transparent mode?

HTH

There are no configurations regarding VTP on the switch. There isn't a domain or any others set.

If I set these to transparent mode, which one should I do it on first, and will it remove the vlans which are already running on it?

I've always set up VTP when I deployed the switch, but this is one that was set up by someone else, and I copied the config.   I've had mixed results when changing vtp info on switches that were already running, as far as losing connectivity.

Mat Barry
Level 1
Level 1

The issue was the IP addressing.  When I created the replacement, I configured it with a different address, which wasn't the gateway address.  When I removed the old switch, all devices lost their gateway.  

Hello

Below was the way i did a recent core migration:
1 )attached new Core switch to existing core switch via trunk - provided it with a management ip adrress, made sure vtp/STP has synchronized

2 ) created the same SVi's on the new core as the existing core
Ie - Same IP address/subnet/default route/ip routing etc (MADE SURE THIS WERE IN SHUTDOWN MODE BEFORE ASSIGNING THE SAME ADDRESSING) - this also includeed the SVI and access port for the WAN router connections

3) Schedule some down time
1.1 relocated  the wan router connection over to the new core - attached it to the access port already created
1.2 shut down the old core svi interfaces and disabled ip routing and assign a new management ip addresss and D/|G
1.3 enable the new cores svi interfaces

l3 routing now went through the new CORE and I still had access to the old core

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card