Views
Helpful
Replies

create a channel-group for teaming/bonding

robertkwild
Spotlight
Spotlight

hi all,

i want to create a PO for teaming/bonding of access ports instead of trunk ports as the other end is going to be connected to a server instead of a switch, so i will be doing the below for the server end

https://www.rootusers.com/how-to-configure-network-teaming-in-linux/

is this possible to do on the switch end

thanks,

rob

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rob,

Should work. On the Cisco side, create a PO and use mode "on" and test.

Usually to connect a Cisco switch to a server, the options are LACP or what Cisco calls mode "on" which means static NIC teaming. Mode "on" is usually a preferred solution.

HTH

gotcha, so instead of mode active its mode on

That is correct. Mode active/passive or active/active is usually used for LACP. only.  Mode "on" is just on and should work with the server side as long as the server is not configured with LACP.

HTH

but the server shouldnt be LACP should it, i havnt configured the server ports yet, so i think its not, is it best to make them LACP on the server end?

Here is the config guide for configuring the switch side:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_53_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swethchl.html

• on  Forces the port to channel without PAgP or LACP. In the on mode, an EtherChannel exists only when a port group in the on mode is connected to another port group in the on mode.

basically if i do mode on, if one port fails either end (switch or/and server) wil the other port still work

basically if i do mode on, if one port fails either end (switch or/and server) wil the other port still work

That is correct. When you have 2 ports in a PO, if one port fails, the switch and server will switch to the next port.

Whatever you do, use the same on both sides, Mode "on" on both sides or if you want to try LACP, use that on both sides., but I think mode "on" works well with servers.

HTH

thanks @Reza Sharifi , i will try and get back to you

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card