cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating LACP trunk

wardwolfram
Level 1
Level 1

CCNA PT lab 6.3.4 is walking us through converting each physical port from access to trunk, then configuring the port Channel to trunk.

The Cisco CCNA book and some posts do not show this step.

Is this needed?  As I believe that creating a port-channel trunk alone was only needed.

Thanks for your input in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

correct, you only need to configure the member interfaces as trunks, not the port channel interface itself.

View solution in original post

@Reza Sharifi That is absolutely true. Not sure why the lab would want the students to configure both the member interfaces AND the port channel as trunk. I guess 'your' way (do the logical config on the port channel only) is the right way.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

After creating a Portchannel, all logical changes should be implemented under the Portchannel interface and not the physical interfaces.

So, in your case, changing the Portchannel from access to trunk should be sufficient. The physical ports will inherit the change from the Portchannel.

HTH

@Reza Sharifi That is absolutely true. Not sure why the lab would want the students to configure both the member interfaces AND the port channel as trunk. I guess 'your' way (do the logical config on the port channel only) is the right way.

... it appears that you can enable a trunk a couple ways and maybe this is what the PT is trying to show:

1. Enable a port-channel as a trunk by enabling all individual physical ports as a trunks - which is an inefficient way to do this...

2. Enable a port-channel as a trunk by enabling the port-channel itself as a trunk - which covers enabling of trunking in one command.

Hello,

correct, you only need to configure the member interfaces as trunks, not the port channel interface itself.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card