cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Crossover Cisco 3550 with 3548?

agangaram
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I'm a bit new to Cisco and would just like to know if this should be possible. We're currently using a Cisco 3550-48-smi switch for our LAN and basically just ran out of ports. We are getting a 3548-XL soon and wondering if I'd be able to link them together to expand our ports by connecting them with a crossover cable. I've seen success of those doing so with 2x 3550 switches but just curious if the process should be the same with these two.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Renan Abreu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi agangaram,

When you mention link them together you mention to cascade a trunk port or to do a extension of L2 or to configure them as stack?

Trunking them with a cable as you mentioned you can absolutely do it, I'm not sure about stacking those two though.

For the cascade option, just take a look at configuring a trunk below.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/scg_2960/swvlan.html#wp1200245

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes.  Cross-over cable is the ONLY method.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card