cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSLU not reporting hostname

mario.jost
Level 3
Level 3

We have setup the Cisco Smart License Utility (CSLU) in our network. The devices contact the CSLU server fine, but they do not report the hostname on the CSSM online portal. Output of our example device:

roTST12#show license status 
Utility:

Smart Licensing Using Policy:

Data Privacy:
  Sending Hostname: yes
    Callhome hostname privacy: DISABLED
    Smart Licensing hostname privacy: DISABLED
  Version privacy: DISABLED

Transport:
  Type: cslu
  Cslu address: <empty>
  Proxy:
    Not Configured

Policy:
  Policy in use: Merged from multiple sources.
  Reporting ACK required: yes (CISCO default)
  Unenforced/Non-Export Perpetual Attributes:
    First report requirement (days): 365 (CISCO default)
    Reporting frequency (days): 0 (CISCO default)
    Report on change (days): 90 (CISCO default)
  Unenforced/Non-Export Subscription Attributes:
    First report requirement (days): 90 (CISCO default)
    Reporting frequency (days): 90 (CISCO default)
    Report on change (days): 90 (CISCO default)
  Enforced (Perpetual/Subscription) License Attributes:
    First report requirement (days): 0 (CISCO default)
    Report on change (days): 0 (CISCO default)
  Export (Perpetual/Subscription) License Attributes:
    First report requirement (days): 0 (CISCO default)
    Report on change (days): 0 (CISCO default)

Miscellaneous:
  Custom Id: <empty>

Usage Reporting:
  Last ACK received: Apr 29 12:16:05 2022 CEST
  Next ACK deadline: <none>
  Reporting push interval: 0 (no reporting)
  Next ACK push check: <none>
  Next report push: <none>
  Last report push: May 04 14:25:05 2022 CEST
  Last report file write: <none>

Trust Code Installed: <none>

On the CSLU, there is only the UDI visible:

2022-05-04 14_51_55-srvmwlic02 - Remotedesktopverbindung.png

roTST12#show license udi        
UDI: PID:C1113-8PLTEEA,SN:FGL2438LB8W

In CSSM, the same UDI is visible. 

2022-05-04 14_54_29-Cisco Software Central.png

How can i get the reporting to show me the hostnames in the CSSM like it was with the old way?

Thanks and best regards,

Mario

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mario.jost
Level 3
Level 3

I opened up a TAC case about this and the technician was very understanding and supportive. Long story short, this is by design and cant be changed at the moment.

Smart Licensing Using Policy: Starting with Cisco IOS XE Amsterdam 17.3.2a, with the introduction of Smart Licensing Using Policy, even if you configure a hostname for a product instance or device, only the Unique Device Identifier (UDI) is displayed. This change in the display can be observed in all licensing utilities and user interfaces where the hostname was displayed in earlier releases. It does not affect any licensing functionality. There is no workaround for this limitation.

Source: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/17-8/release_notes/ol-17-8-9300.html

There is a enhancement request with bugID:CSCvx19803 

https://quickview.cloudapps.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCvx19803

This should come with firmware 17.9.1 which could be released around end of july / beginning of august. So there is nothing for us to do than waiting for cisco to fix this. It is beyond me that they chose to remove the hostname reporting feature, even though there is a parameter in the configuration that lets the customer choose if he wants to report hostnames, or not. How many levels did this change pass wihtout anyone raising their hand and proposing to let the customers have control over this. I hope they learned something about it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mario.jost
Level 3
Level 3

I opened up a TAC case about this and the technician was very understanding and supportive. Long story short, this is by design and cant be changed at the moment.

Smart Licensing Using Policy: Starting with Cisco IOS XE Amsterdam 17.3.2a, with the introduction of Smart Licensing Using Policy, even if you configure a hostname for a product instance or device, only the Unique Device Identifier (UDI) is displayed. This change in the display can be observed in all licensing utilities and user interfaces where the hostname was displayed in earlier releases. It does not affect any licensing functionality. There is no workaround for this limitation.

Source: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/17-8/release_notes/ol-17-8-9300.html

There is a enhancement request with bugID:CSCvx19803 

https://quickview.cloudapps.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCvx19803

This should come with firmware 17.9.1 which could be released around end of july / beginning of august. So there is nothing for us to do than waiting for cisco to fix this. It is beyond me that they chose to remove the hostname reporting feature, even though there is a parameter in the configuration that lets the customer choose if he wants to report hostnames, or not. How many levels did this change pass wihtout anyone raising their hand and proposing to let the customers have control over this. I hope they learned something about it.

SGT Engineering
Level 1
Level 1

Problem persists with Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 17.09.03a

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card