cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default gateway

Jhonata
Level 1
Level 1

I have multiple devices connected in a ring to 2 different L3 switches on each end, the devices have one gateway pointing to one switch L3 the another L3 switch has a vrrp enable, but we have a problem when is a broken link in the ring, half of the devices are going down because both gateways are up, but only part of the L2 switched are reachable, they are pointing to the gateway but because the broken link, the gateway is not reachable from the L2 switches, It is any way to have 2 gateways or something like that to avoid this. Gateway 1 and 2 have ospf connected to the core switches thanks

L2 problem.PNG 

4 Replies 4

Hello,

Put a connection between SW0 and SW1. This will provide the redundancy for the GW that you need. That way no matter where the link breaks all devices can reach the same Default active GW. Make sure the link is a trunk link carrying all the VLANs needed to reach out.

-David

Thank for the reply, The switches are separated for more than 20 miles and
I am not sure that it fiber available on the ring to do that

Thank for the reply, The switches are separated for more than 20 miles and
I am not sure that it fiber available on the ring to do that

You could also run a cable from SW4 to SW1 and a cable from SW3 to SW0 and remove the connection from SW4 to SW3. Bottom line is you need to have a redundant connection to the DG in order for your setup to work as you wish with VRRP. If one link goes down you need another link for redundancy. 

What you have is also bad for routing. Because if the link between SW3 and SW4 lose connection and your L3 network is load balancing then it will send 1 packet to GW1 and the next packet to GW2 and only half the packets will make it to their destination.

-David

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card