Views
Helpful
Replies

Design question

cglines
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am putting together a very temporary Network setup while we wait for Gear that will be our main set up to arrive. I am for the most part just providing wireless access so just APs connecting back to the Switches. The gear I have is:

7 C2960-S

3 C2960-X

2 C3750-X

This will all run back to a aggregation switch in the Core. In terms of the connecting the Access switches back do you recommend I run Layer 3 or Layer 2. With the limited Layer 3 Capbilities of the C2960 I was think just Layer 2 but would love some input. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Layer-2 is fine on the access switches and trunk to core. On the core, you just create the SVI and vlans needed and also the core can route between vlans if needed. The entire user wi-fi system can go in one large subnet, and also one subnet for the management of the APs.

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Layer-2 is fine on the access switches and trunk to core. On the core, you just create the SVI and vlans needed and also the core can route between vlans if needed. The entire user wi-fi system can go in one large subnet, and also one subnet for the management of the APs.

HTH

Hi Reza

Thanks for the response. Yea I will have a couple different subnets/SSIDs coming off the APs to segerate types of users and then just pass those over the trunk to the Core. 

Hi,

Yes, I would configure a different SSID with a corresponding vlan/subnet for guests, contractors, etc.. and one large one for your internal users so, the can roam around the building without being disconnected. If you have a wired Lan, you want a separate subnet and a different one for phones if you have VoIP.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card