cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Devices Connected to 3750 MDF Using Switch MAC Address

jmbattlemotors
Level 1
Level 1

We have a stack of Catalyst 3750 switches setup as an MDF. This stack is also the default gateway for all internal networks. The issue I'm running into is that when traffic reaches our firewall (or any other device), it shows up using the MAC address of the MDF instead of the device itself. Basically when I'm looking through my firewall traffic, it looks like everything is coming from one device because all traffic is getting sent from the gateway's MAC. Is there a way I can disable this in the Catalyst so that the MAC of the actual device is sent instead of the switch/gateway? I've never had a network use a switch as the default gateway before, so this setup is a little new for me.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That's expected/normal behavior.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you saying the FW and host are all on/within the same network/L2-domain and your FW is "seeing" the gateway MAC (for that same network/L2-domain)?

If so, you would need to explain how your FW functions.

On the other hand, if your hosts and FW were in different networks/L2-domains, the gateway MAC used by your hosts would not be the same gateway MAC seen by your FW, although, yes, at the L2 level, all the traffic would have the FW's gateway MAC.

Basically, in the latter situation, the topology (logically) would be like host <> switch <> router <> switch <> FW or for an L3 switch like host <> L3 switch <> FW.

What you might be expecting is a topology like: host <> L2 switch <> FW.

If L3 switch is being used as L3 (e.g. gateways), it's logically like the switch <> router <> switch.

It is L3 with multiple VLANs. The MDF/switch acts as the default gateway for every VLAN we have, so it has an interface on each. We then have a static route that sends any traffic on those VLANs to our firewall and then out to the internet. So for example, VLAN20 is our wireless network. We may have a device with the IP 10.51.20.200. The gateway for that network would be 10.51.20.254 (the switch), then the next hop would be 10.51.5.245 (the firewall). So when this device reaches the firewall and I can see the traffic in the logs, it shows up with the MAC of the switch instead of the device itself.

That's expected/normal behavior.

OK, thanks for confirming. Like I said, I've never had a switch act as the gateway like this before, so this setup is new for me.

No problem.  Remember a L3 switch, in one device, can operate like L2 switch <> router <> L2 switch.  (When L3 switches first came on the market, it could take a bit of time to understand them [well for some of us, laugh].)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card