Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP and Reverse DNS

caioamonteiro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm using Cisco Catalyst 3560 as DHCP server at remote sites. I have an AD which is DNS too at my main station.

I would like to know if someone knows how to make reverse register DNS (PTR) automatically when my hosts get IPs from the Cisco DHCP server.

Thanks,

Caio.

4 Replies 4

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You want the DNS entries to get dynamically updated when host gets a new DHCP address?

if so then it is done on the hosts with dynDNS feature in the advanced properties-DNS of tcp/ip properties of NIC.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

IcebergTitanic
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any reason why you wouldn't be using IP Helper Addresses to direct the DHCP requests over to the server? Seems like that would take care of the problem very gracefully.

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Caio Alvarez Monteiro wrote:

Hi,

I'm using Cisco Catalyst 3560 as DHCP server at remote sites. I have an AD which is DNS too at my main station.

I would like to know if someone knows how to make reverse register DNS (PTR) automatically when my hosts get IPs from the Cisco DHCP server.

Thanks,

Caio.

Caio.

What Dan said - configure your Cat3560 with an IP Helper address, set it to forward the DHCP requests to your AD DHCP server, and then let the AD server handle the DNS integration.

Bit of work tos etup, especially if you have a lot of subnets involved, but it saves worrying about synchronising with the AD DNS ever again.

Cheers.

caioamonteiro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alain,

My hosts register in DNS correctly, I want to register the pointers (reverse DNS). For example, if you go at prompt and write ping -a xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, it should give back to you the hostname, I want this being made via DNS, not WINS.

Dan and Darren,

The only reason is to decentralize DHCP, and don't make it dependent of my WAN link, but it is something I can consider.

Do you guys think there is no way doing that?

Thanks everyone for helping.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card