Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP Domain-Name Command

ahmedeshtiwi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there :)

this is my first visit in here as I am a fresh CCNA who has just started working in a networking section where they are facing some problems in the IT department.
DHCP server was removed and the cisco Core Swithch was given the task after deviding the network into several VLANS.
They have (example.com) as a domain name, but when I checked the DHCP Configuration in the (runing-config) file I found this:
<!--break-->

!
ip dhcp pool xyz
   network 10.100.1.0 255.255.255.0
   default-router 10.100.1.254
   dns-server 192.168.100.200
   domain-name wr
   lease 30
!

What I think is that it was mis-configured because the "Show startup-config" command shows the correct Domain Name:

!
  domain-name example.com
!

My question is: what effect will a wrong DHCP Domain Name cause?

Thank you

Ahmed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

That is just the domain name that is provided to the clients through DHCP. But I think it would have an impact if the clients use DNS records to reach local servers and such, because they will default to use the domain name of "wr" instead of the correct one.

So for example if an client would want to ping a router with hostname of R1, a client pinging to just R1 would resolve that to R1.wr, instead of R1.example.com.

It would ofcourse be optimal if you used the same domain name everywhere.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi

That is just the domain name that is provided to the clients through DHCP. But I think it would have an impact if the clients use DNS records to reach local servers and such, because they will default to use the domain name of "wr" instead of the correct one.

So for example if an client would want to ping a router with hostname of R1, a client pinging to just R1 would resolve that to R1.wr, instead of R1.example.com.

It would ofcourse be optimal if you used the same domain name everywhere.

That is great!!

Actually, people are complaining they were unable to login to remot devices by name unless they try with there IP first (look how painfull that can be!). I think that explains the issue for me! I will go and correct that and see what happens.

Thank you very much Henrik.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card