cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP failed. APIPA is being used.

MaxedStatus
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to finish this lab but for some reason my DHCP is failing; After 4 hours of working through something meant to be easy I've decided to create a post regarding this issue.

I'm not looking for someone to complete it for me but rather I'd like to know what my mistake is regarding my DHCP as I need it to give IP addresses to all PCs in the environment.
Thanks in advance!

27 Replies 27

check IP address helper int, is configured with correct ip address

sknet
Level 1
Level 1

Check subnet on your router if it has changed to 255.255.255.252 from .0; This might have happened when you tried configuring your DHCP, or start IP, or max users. For eg. if you tried changing your start ip to 200 (from 100 default) the subnet will change to .252. And if you change start ip back to 100, the subnet still remains .252, which causes some collisions that you can figure out.

Solution: change subnet to .0 and may change start and max to 100 and 50.

This was very helpful. I would like to know why exactly that happens. Because I tried to change the max number if users and the mask and with no reason it kept changing. 

Thank you

gerlancarvalho
Level 1
Level 1

I got the same problem. what happens was some configuration or protocol at the SWITCH, so I reseted it with #erase startup-config, then #write erase, #reload. So, DHCP is wonking.

It appears that APIPA is in charge of managing IP range and max-users. So just make sure that you accommodate each device in your topology by adding to max-users. Worked for me.

godwin06
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone please help out. I want to know what I am getting wrong here. Thanks

Resolved. Thanks.

SwamiM
Level 1
Level 1

Problem Cause : Automatically Chose Connection Type was connecting my PC0 to Wireless-Router0's Internet Port

Solution : Doing Connection Manually with Copper-Straight through wire. PC0 connects to Wireless-Router0's one of the Ethernet Ports.

The reason why your DHCP is failing is because you didn't. Give it an IP address so APIPA will try to find the IP address

Hi, i have the apipa is being used problem. Can you help me?

ytalliance
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I'm a recent beginner to Packet Tracer and have used it to design complex topologies but this network looks like a lot of fun to build. Can someone please advise where to find the lab OP is referring to?

Cheers,

mariem33
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have the APIPA is being used problem, and I can't solve it.

All devices are getting IP addresses randomly and not within the given pool.

I'm working on packet tracer

Can anyone help me with the issue please? 

Hi Miriem33,

Please Provide the following:
What Packet Tracer version are you using?
Which Packet Tracer Activity or Lab are you working on?
Example: 2.1.1.5 Packet Tracer – Create a Simple Network
Send the instructions and Packet Tracer files.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card