cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP IP DYNAMIC ADD AND WIN 7

willymaldonado1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a DHCP server running out of a 2621mx and everything works as a charm when an win xp clients ask for an ip add; however, where i run into a wall

is when a win 7 clients wants an ip dynamicly... the only work arounf to this issues I have use to trobouleshoot it's an static ip add applied to win 7 clients, but I need to fix this issue due to a big gother for this weekend and is just not right to assign ip add for everyone...  any help would be really apresiated it.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Willy,

Actually it is a windows 7 problem, try below steps to solve it:

You may try to disable the DHCP BROADCAST flag in Windows 7 computers & check if the issue persists. To do this, follow these steps.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

** (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows. **

A. Click Start, type ‘regedit’ in the Start Search box, and then click ‘regedit’ in the Programs list.

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

B. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}

C. In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey that corresponds to the network adapter that is connected to the network.

D. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.

E. In the New Value #1 box, type ‘DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle’, and then press ENTER.

F. Right-click’ DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle’, and then click Modify.

G. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.

H. Close Registry Editor.

By setting this registry key to 1, Windows 7 will first try to obtain an IP address by using the BROADCAST flag in DHCP Discover packets. If that fails, it will try to obtain an IP address without using the BROADCAST flag in DHCP Discover packets.

plz Rate if it helped,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Willy,

Actually it is a windows 7 problem, try below steps to solve it:

You may try to disable the DHCP BROADCAST flag in Windows 7 computers & check if the issue persists. To do this, follow these steps.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

** (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows. **

A. Click Start, type ‘regedit’ in the Start Search box, and then click ‘regedit’ in the Programs list.

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

B. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}

C. In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey that corresponds to the network adapter that is connected to the network.

D. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.

E. In the New Value #1 box, type ‘DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle’, and then press ENTER.

F. Right-click’ DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle’, and then click Modify.

G. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.

H. Close Registry Editor.

By setting this registry key to 1, Windows 7 will first try to obtain an IP address by using the BROADCAST flag in DHCP Discover packets. If that fails, it will try to obtain an IP address without using the BROADCAST flag in DHCP Discover packets.

plz Rate if it helped,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

thanks Soroush, I knew my config file was fine but I could not believe win 7 clients could not became friends with my 2621, I guess I would have to keep on assigning static ip's, but your info is perfect and help me alot... till next time

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card