cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP not working inside a VLAN

Frank Sinatra
Level 1
Level 1

I have a very simple setup. A Netgear router that is connected to WAN and has four ports. If I connect a PC to any port, I get an IP from DHCP (192.168.10.0/24) and the internet is also working. 

What I want to do is to extend this to a Cisco switch. On the switch, I have created VLAN 10 and assigned the ports 1-10 to that VLAN. Port 1 is connected to the Netgear as a WAN/DHCP. Now if I connect a PC to any of the remaining ports, I can't get an IP from the Netgear's DHCP server. What am I doing wrong?

int fastEthernet1/0/1
    switchport access vlan 10
    description NETGEAR

int fastEthernet1/0/2
    description ConnectedToPC

int fastEthernet1/0/3

int fastEthernet1/0/4

int fastEthernet1/0/5

int fastEthernet1/0/6

If I connect a PC to port 2 and another to port 3; and give them an IP in the same subnet, I can ping them. But the DHCP is the issue.

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Should work at first glance, is there anything in the logs (of the switch and or the DHCP server) ; when you force the PC to get a new IP with (ipconfig /release and renew) for instance. It's best to test this explicit in order to not confuse with machines having an IP already.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, 

Try adding "spanning-tree portfast" to the access ports. Without it DHCP requests don't get forwarded while spanning tree is being negotiated when the ports come up.

Hope this helps

I added spanning tree to both ports but it's still the same. There is a trunk on the switch. Could it be causing any issues?

Hello

First of all you may require a crossover cable between the the switch and the negear router/siwtch if the ports are not mdix compatible.

Second put all access ports on the new switch in access vlan 1 test again

switch
interface x/x
switchport host
switchport access vlan 1

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

romanroma
Level 1
Level 1

You might need DHCP snoop turned on. The multicast/broadcast for DHCP discovery might be not getting to the server.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card